Erythrobacter pelagi sp. nov., a member of the family Erythrobacteraceae isolated from the Red Sea
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/575549
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA novel Gram-negative, aerobic, catalase- and oxidase-positive, non-sporulating, non-motile, rod-shaped bacterium, designated strain UST081027-248(T), was isolated from seawater of the Red Sea. Phylogenetic analysis based on 16S rRNA gene sequences showed that strain UST081027-248(T) fell within the genus Erythrobacter. Levels of 16S rRNA gene sequence similarity between the novel strain and the type strains of Erythrobacter species ranged from 95.3% (with Erythrobacter gangjinensis) to 98.2% (with Erythrobacter citreus). However, levels of DNA-DNA relatedness between strain UST081027-248(T) and the type strains of closely related species were below 70%. Optimal growth of the isolate occurred in the presence of 2.0% NaCl, at pH 8.0-9.0 and at 28-36 degrees C. The isolate did not produce bacteriochlorophyll a. The predominant cellular fatty acids were C-17:1 omega 6c, summed feature 8 (C-18:1 omega 6c and/or C-18:1 omega 7c) and C-15:0 2-OH. The genomic DNA G+C content of strain UST081027-248(T) was 60.4 mol%. Phenotypic properties and phylogenetic distinctiveness clearly indicated that strain UST081027-248(T) represents a novel species of the genus Erythrobacter, for which the name Erythrobacter pelagi sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain is UST081027-248(T) (=JCM 17468(T)=NRRL 59511(T)).
SponsorsWe are grateful to the captain and crew of the R/V Oceanus for providing technical help during sampling. This study was supported by grants from the KAUST Global Partnership Program (KAUST005-CML07/08) to P.-Y. Q. and from Leading Academic Discipline Project of Shanghai Municipal Education Commission (J50701) to H.-x. W.
- Erythrobacter marinus sp. nov., isolated from seawater.
- Authors: Jung YT, Park S, Oh TK, Yoon JH
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Erythrobacter gangjinensis sp. nov., a marine bacterium isolated from seawater.
- Authors: Lee YS, Lee DH, Kahng HY, Kim EM, Jung JS
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Erythrobacter nanhaisediminis sp. nov., isolated from marine sediment of the South China Sea.
- Authors: Xu M, Xin Y, Yu Y, Zhang J, Zhou Y, Liu H, Tian J, Li Y
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Erythrobacter aquimaris sp. nov., isolated from sea water of a tidal flat of the Yellow Sea in Korea.
- Authors: Yoon JH, Kang KH, Oh TK, Park YH
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Erythrobacter luteolus sp. nov., isolated from a tidal flat of the Yellow Sea in Korea.
- Authors: Yoon JH, Kang KH, Yeo SH, Oh TK
- Issue date: 2005 May