An exploratory data analysis of electroencephalograms using the functional boxplots approach
Genton, Marc G.
Cramer, Steven C.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMany model-based methods have been developed over the last several decades for analysis of electroencephalograms (EEGs) in order to understand electrical neural data. In this work, we propose to use the functional boxplot (FBP) to analyze log periodograms of EEG time series data in the spectral domain. The functional bloxplot approach produces a median curve—which is not equivalent to connecting medians obtained from frequency-specific boxplots. In addition, this approach identifies a functional median, summarizes variability, and detects potential outliers. By extending FBPs analysis from one-dimensional curves to surfaces, surface boxplots are also used to explore the variation of the spectral power for the alpha (8–12 Hz) and beta (16–32 Hz) frequency bands across the brain cortical surface. By using rank-based nonparametric tests, we also investigate the stationarity of EEG traces across an exam acquired during resting-state by comparing the spectrum during the early vs. late phases of a single resting-state EEG exam.
CitationAn exploratory data analysis of electroencephalograms using the functional boxplots approach 2015, 9 Frontiers in Neuroscience
PublisherFrontiers Media SA
JournalFrontiers in Neuroscience
- Surface boxplots.
- Authors: Genton MG, Johnson C, Potter K, Stenchikov G, Sun Y
- Issue date: 2014
- Contour boxplots: a method for characterizing uncertainty in feature sets from simulation ensembles.
- Authors: Whitaker RT, Mirzargar M, Kirby RM
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- Longitudinal study of EEG frequency maturation and power changes in children on the Russian North.
- Authors: Soroko SI, Shemyakina NV, Nagornova ZhV, Bekshaev SS
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Optimization of EEG frequency bands for improved diagnosis of Alzheimer disease.
- Authors: Elgendi M, Vialatte F, Cichocki A, Latchoumane C, Jeong J, Dauwels J
- Issue date: 2011
- Curve Boxplot: Generalization of Boxplot for Ensembles of Curves.
- Authors: Mirzargar M, Whitaker RT, Kirby RM
- Issue date: 2014 Dec