Scleractinian corals (Fungiidae, Agariciidae and Euphylliidae) of Pulau Layang-Layang, Spratly Islands, with a note on Pavona maldivensis (Gardiner, 1905)
van der Meij, Sancia E. T.
Terraneo, Tullia Isotta
Hoeksema, Bert W.
KAUST DepartmentMarine Science Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLayang-Layang is a small island part of an oceanic atoll in the Spratly Islands off Sabah, Malaysia. As the reef coral fauna in this part of the South China Sea is poorly known, a survey was carried out in 2013 to study the species composition of the scleractinian coral families Fungiidae, Agariciidae and Euphylliidae. A total of 56 species was recorded. The addition of three previously reported coral species brings the total to 59, consisting of 32 Fungiidae, 22 Agariciidae, and five Euphylliidae. Of these, 32 species are new records for Layang-Layang, which include five rarely reported species, i.e., the fungiids Lithophyllon ranjithi, Podabacia sinai, Sandalolitha boucheti, and the agariciids Leptoseris kalayaanensis and L. troglodyta. The coral fauna of Layang-Layang is poor compared to other areas in Sabah, which may be related to its recovery from a crown-of-thorns seastar outbreak in 2010, and its low habitat diversity, which is dominated by reef slopes consisting of steep outer walls. Based on integrative molecular and morphological analyses, a Pavona variety with small and extremely thin coralla was revealed as P. maldivensis. Since specimens from Sabah previously identified as P. maldivensis were found to belong to P. explanulata, the affinities and distinctions of P. maldivensis and P. explanulata are discussed.
CitationScleractinian corals (Fungiidae, Agariciidae and Euphylliidae) of Pulau Layang-Layang, Spratly Islands, with a note on Pavona maldivensis (Gardiner, 1905) 2015, 517:1 ZooKeys
- Coral Reefs at the Northernmost Tip of Borneo: An Assessment of Scleractinian Species Richness Patterns and Benthic Reef Assemblages.
- Authors: Waheed Z, van Mil HG, Syed Hussein MA, Jumin R, Golam Ahad B, Hoeksema BW
- Issue date: 2015
- Consolidated Checklist of Hard Corals of the Genus <i>Acropora</i> Oken, 1815 (Scleractinia: Acroporidae) in North Borneo, East Malaysia.
- Authors: Robert R, Lee DJ, Rodrigues KF, Hussein MA, Waheed Z, Kumar SV
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 29
- Pachyseris inattesa sp. n. (Cnidaria, Anthozoa, Scleractinia): a new reef coral species from the Red Sea and its phylogenetic relationships.
- Authors: Terraneo TI, Berumen ML, Arrigoni R, Waheed Z, Bouwmeester J, Caragnano A, Stefani F, Benzoni F
- Issue date: 2014
- <i>Symbiodinium</i> spp. associated with scleractinian corals from Dongsha Atoll (Pratas), Taiwan, in the South China Sea.
- Authors: Keshavmurthy S, Tang KH, Hsu CM, Gan CH, Kuo CY, Soong K, Chou HN, Chen CA
- Issue date: 2017
- Some scleractinian corals (Scleractinia: Anthozoa) of Larak Island, Persian Gulf.
- Authors: Samiei JV, Dab K, Ghezellou P, Shirvani A
- Issue date: 2013