Tunable room-temperature ferromagnet using an iron-oxide and graphene oxide nanocomposite
AuthorsLin, Aigu L.
Rodrigues, J. N B
Loh, Kian Ping
Neto, A. H Castro
Wee, Andrew T S
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Materials Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Laboratory of Nano Oxides for Sustainable Energy
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMagnetic materials have found wide application ranging from electronics and memories to medicine. Essential to these advances is the control of the magnetic order. To date, most room-temperature applications have a fixed magnetic moment whose orientation is manipulated for functionality. Here we demonstrate an iron-oxide and graphene oxide nanocomposite based device that acts as a tunable ferromagnet at room temperature. Not only can we tune its transition temperature in a wide range of temperatures around room temperature, but the magnetization can also be tuned from zero to 0.011 A m2/kg through an initialization process with two readily accessible knobs (magnetic field and electric current), after which the system retains its magnetic properties semi-permanently until the next initialization process. We construct a theoretical model to illustrate that this tunability originates from an indirect exchange interaction mediated by spin-imbalanced electrons inside the nanocomposite. © 2015 Scientific Reports.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Room temperature magnetic graphene oxide-iron oxide nanocomposite based magnetoresistive random access memory devices via spin-dependent trapping of electrons.
- Authors: Lin AL, Peng H, Liu Z, Wu T, Su C, Loh KP, Ariando, Chen W, Wee AT
- Issue date: 2014 May 28
- Room-Temperature Spin Filtering in Metallic Ferromagnet-Multilayer Graphene-Ferromagnet Junctions.
- Authors: Cobas ED, van 't Erve OM, Cheng SF, Culbertson JC, Jernigan GG, Bussman K, Jonker BT
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 22
- Chitosan-Iron Oxide Coated Graphene Oxide Nanocomposite Hydrogel: A Robust and Soft Antimicrobial Biofilm.
- Authors: Konwar A, Kalita S, Kotoky J, Chowdhury D
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 17
- Graphene-ferromagnet interfaces: hybridization, magnetization and charge transfer.
- Authors: Abtew T, Shih BC, Banerjee S, Zhang P
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 7
- Flexible magnetic nanoparticles-reduced graphene oxide composite membranes formed by self-assembly in solution.
- Authors: Zhu G, Liu Y, Xu Z, Jiang T, Zhang C, Li X, Qi G
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 2