The potato carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase 4 catalyzes a single cleavage of β-ionone ring-containing carotenes and non-epoxidated xanthophylls
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Plant Science Program
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/566179
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDown-regulation of the potato carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase 4 (StCCD4) transcript level led to tubers with altered morphology and sprouting activity, which also accumulated higher levels of violaxanthin and lutein leading to elevated carotenoid amounts. This phenotype indicates a role of this enzyme in tuber development, which may be exerted by a cleavage product. In this work, we investigated the enzymatic activity of StCCD4, by expressing the corresponding cDNA in carotenoid accumulating Escherichia coli strains and by performing in vitro assays with heterologously expressed enzyme. StCCD4 catalyzed the cleavage of all-. trans-β-carotene at the C9'-C10' double bond, leading to β-ionone and all-. trans-β-apo-10'-carotenal, both in vivo and in vitro. The enzyme also cleaved β,β-cryptoxanthin, zeaxanthin and lutein either at the C9'-C10' or the C9-C10 double bond in vitro. In contrast, we did not observe any conversion of violaxanthin and only traces of activity with 9-. cis-β-carotene, which led to 9-. cis-β-apo-10'-carotenal. Our data indicate that all-. trans-β-carotene is the likely substrate of StCCD4 in planta, and that this carotene may be precursor of an unknown compound involved in tuber development.
SponsorsWe thank Dr. Hansgeorg Ernst for providing the synthetic substrates and Erdmann Scheffer for skillful technical assistance. This work was supported by the European Union (METAPRO; FP7 KBBE-2009-3-1-01) and by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Substrate Specificity of Purified Recombinant Chicken β-Carotene 9',10'-Oxygenase (BCO2).
- Authors: Dela Seña C, Sun J, Narayanasamy S, Riedl KM, Yuan Y, Curley RW Jr, Schwartz SJ, Harrison EH
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 8
- Characterization of the rice carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase 1 reveals a novel route for geranial biosynthesis.
- Authors: Ilg A, Beyer P, Al-Babili S
- Issue date: 2009 Feb
- Enzymatic formation of apo-carotenoids from the xanthophyll carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and β-cryptoxanthin by ferret carotene-9',10'-monooxygenase.
- Authors: Mein JR, Dolnikowski GG, Ernst H, Russell RM, Wang XD
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 1
- Enzymatic formation of β-citraurin from β-cryptoxanthin and Zeaxanthin by carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase4 in the flavedo of citrus fruit.
- Authors: Ma G, Zhang L, Matsuta A, Matsutani K, Yamawaki K, Yahata M, Wahyudi A, Motohashi R, Kato M
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- On the substrate specificity of the rice strigolactone biosynthesis enzyme DWARF27.
- Authors: Bruno M, Al-Babili S
- Issue date: 2016 Jun