Self-assembled isoporous block copolymer membranes with tuned pore sizes
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2014-07-23
Print Publication Date2014-09-15
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/566164
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe combination of nonsolvent-induced phase separation and the self-assembly of block copolymers can lead to asymmetric membranes with a thin highly ordered isoporous skin layer. The effective pore size of such membranes is usually larger than 15 nm. We reduced the pore size of these membranes by electroless gold deposition. We demonstrate that the pore sizes can be controlled precisely between 3 and 20 nm leading to a tunable sharp size discrimination in filtration processes. Besides fractionation of nanoparticles and biomaterials, controlled drug delivery is an attractive potential application. © 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationYu, H., Qiu, X., Nunes, S. P., & Peinemann, K.-V. (2014). Self-Assembled Isoporous Block Copolymer Membranes with Tuned Pore Sizes. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 53(38), 10072–10076. doi:10.1002/anie.201404491
SponsorsThe work was supported by the KAUST Seed-Fund Project "Isoporous Membranes".
- Self-Assembled Asymmetric Block Copolymer Membranes: Bridging the Gap from Ultra- to Nanofiltration.
- Authors: Yu H, Qiu X, Moreno N, Ma Z, Calo VM, Nunes SP, Peinemann KV
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 16
- Thin Isoporous Block Copolymer Membranes: It Is All about the Process.
- Authors: Hahn J, Clodt JI, Abetz C, Filiz V, Abetz V
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 30
- Asymmetric superstructure formed in a block copolymer via phase separation.
- Authors: Peinemann KV, Abetz V, Simon PF
- Issue date: 2007 Dec
- Tailored pore sizes in integral asymmetric membranes formed by blends of block copolymers.
- Authors: Radjabian M, Abetz V
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 14
- Influence of Solvent on the Structure of an Amphiphilic Block Copolymer in Solution and in Formation of an Integral Asymmetric Membrane.
- Authors: Radjabian M, Abetz C, Fischer B, Meyer A, Abetz V
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 20