KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Plant Science Program
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Chromatin and development Research Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/566077
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNoncoding RNAs have emerged as major components of the eukaryotic transcriptome. Genome-wide analyses revealed the existence of thousands of long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs) in several plant species. Plant lncRNAs are transcribed by the plant-specific RNA polymerases Pol IV and Pol V, leading to transcriptional gene silencing, as well as by Pol II. They are involved in a wide range of regulatory mechanisms impacting on gene expression, including chromatin remodeling, modulation of alternative splicing, fine-tuning of miRNA activity, and the control of mRNA translation or accumulation. Recently, dual noncoding transcription by alternative RNA polymerases was implicated in epigenetic and chromatin conformation dynamics. This review integrates the current knowledge on the regulatory mechanisms acting through plant noncoding transcription. © 2015 Elsevier Ltd.
CitationAriel, F., Romero-Barrios, N., Jégu, T., Benhamed, M., & Crespi, M. (2015). Battles and hijacks: noncoding transcription in plants. Trends in Plant Science, 20(6), 362–371. doi:10.1016/j.tplants.2015.03.003
JournalTrends in Plant Science
- RNA-mediated chromatin-based silencing in plants.
- Authors: Matzke M, Kanno T, Daxinger L, Huettel B, Matzke AJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- Long noncoding RNA: unveiling hidden layer of gene regulatory networks.
- Authors: Kim ED, Sung S
- Issue date: 2012 Jan
- RNA Pol IV and V in gene silencing: Rebel polymerases evolving away from Pol II's rules.
- Authors: Zhou M, Law JA
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Non-coding RNA transcription and RNA-directed DNA methylation in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: He XJ, Ma ZY, Liu ZW
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- An Rrp6-like protein positively regulates noncoding RNA levels and DNA methylation in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Zhang H, Tang K, Qian W, Duan CG, Wang B, Zhang H, Wang P, Zhu X, Lang Z, Yang Y, Zhu JK
- Issue date: 2014 May 8