Transcription activator-like effector nucleases mediated metabolic engineering for enhanced fatty acids production in Saccharomyces cerevisiae
Piatek, Agnieszka Anna
Mahfouz, Magdy M.
KAUST DepartmentDesert Agriculture Initiative
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Plant Science Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTargeted engineering of microbial genomes holds much promise for diverse biotechnological applications. Transcription activator-like effector nucleases (TALENs) and clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats/Cas9 systems are capable of efficiently editing microbial genomes, including that of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Here, we demonstrate the use of TALENs to edit the genome of S.cerevisiae with the aim of inducing the overproduction of fatty acids. Heterodimeric TALENs were designed to simultaneously edit the FAA1 and FAA4 genes encoding acyl-CoA synthetases in S.cerevisiae. Functional yeast double knockouts generated using these TALENs over-produce large amounts of free fatty acids into the cell. This study demonstrates the use of TALENs for targeted engineering of yeast and demonstrates that this technology can be used to stimulate the enhanced production of free fatty acids, which are potential substrates for biofuel production. This proof-of-principle study extends the utility of TALENs as excellent genome editing tools and highlights their potential use for metabolic engineering of yeast and other organisms, such as microalgae and plants, for biofuel production. © 2015 The Society for Biotechnology, Japan.
- Enhancement of free fatty acid production in Saccharomyces cerevisiae by control of fatty acyl-CoA metabolism.
- Authors: Chen L, Zhang J, Lee J, Chen WN
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- The Acyl-CoA synthetases encoded within FAA1 and FAA4 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae function as components of the fatty acid transport system linking import, activation, and intracellular Utilization.
- Authors: Faergeman NJ, Black PN, Zhao XD, Knudsen J, DiRusso CC
- Issue date: 2001 Oct 5
- Multiplexed CRISPR/Cas9 Genome Editing and Gene Regulation Using Csy4 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
- Authors: Ferreira R, Skrekas C, Nielsen J, David F
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 19
- Exploiting off-targeting in guide-RNAs for CRISPR systems for simultaneous editing of multiple genes.
- Authors: Ferreira R, Gatto F, Nielsen J
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Genome engineering via TALENs and CRISPR/Cas9 systems: challenges and perspectives.
- Authors: Mahfouz MM, Piatek A, Stewart CN Jr
- Issue date: 2014 Oct