MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe strigolactones are rhizosphere signaling molecules as well as a new class of plant hormones with a still increasing number of biological functions being uncovered. Here, we review a recent major breakthrough in our understanding of strigolactone biosynthesis, which has revealed the unexpected simplicity of the originally postulated complex pathway. Moreover, the discovery and localization of a strigolactone exporter sheds new light on putative strigolactone fluxes to the rhizosphere as well as within the plant. The combination of these data with information on the expression and regulation of strigolactone biosynthetic and downstream signaling genes provides new insights into how strigolactones control the many different aspects of plant development and how their rhizosphere signaling role may have evolved. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
SponsorsThis work was supported by The Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (to H.J.B.: VICI Grant 865.06.002 and Equipment Grant 834.08.001), Technology Foundation STW (Project 10990) and the EU (METAPRO; FP7 KBBE-2009-3-1-01) (SA). H.J.B. and S.v.d.K. are (co)financed by the Centre for BioSystems Genomics (CBSG), which is part of The Netherlands Genomics Initiative/Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research.
JournalTrends in Plant Science
- The tomato CAROTENOID CLEAVAGE DIOXYGENASE8 (SlCCD8) regulates rhizosphere signaling, plant architecture and affects reproductive development through strigolactone biosynthesis.
- Authors: Kohlen W, Charnikhova T, Lammers M, Pollina T, Tóth P, Haider I, Pozo MJ, de Maagd RA, Ruyter-Spira C, Bouwmeester HJ, López-Ráez JA
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Recent advances in strigolactone research: chemical and biological aspects.
- Authors: Seto Y, Kameoka H, Yamaguchi S, Kyozuka J
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Does abscisic acid affect strigolactone biosynthesis?
- Authors: López-Ráez JA, Kohlen W, Charnikhova T, Mulder P, Undas AK, Sergeant MJ, Verstappen F, Bugg TD, Thompson AJ, Ruyter-Spira C, Bouwmeester H
- Issue date: 2010 Jul
- Strigolactones: Internal and external signals in plant symbioses?
- Authors: Foo E, Yoneyama K, Hugill C, Quittenden LJ, Reid JB
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Strigolactone Signaling and Evolution.
- Authors: Waters MT, Gutjahr C, Bennett T, Nelson DC
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 28