Plant transducers of the endoplasmic reticulum unfolded protein response
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe unfolded protein response (UPR) activates a set of genes to overcome accumulation of unfolded proteins in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER), a condition termed ER stress, and constitutes an essential part of ER protein quality control that ensures efficient maturation of secretory and membrane proteins in eukaryotes. Recent studies on Arabidopsis and rice identified the signaling pathway in which the ER membrane-localized ribonuclease IRE1 (inositol-requiring enzyme 1) catalyzes unconventional cytoplasmic splicing of mRNA, thereby producing the active transcription factor Arabidopsis bZIP60 (basic leucine zipper 60) and its ortholog in rice. Here we review recent findings identifying the molecular components of the plant UPR, including IRE1/bZIP60 and the membrane-bound transcription factors bZIP17 and bZIP28, and implicating its importance in several physiological phenomena such as pathogen response. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
JournalTrends in Plant Science
- A plasma membrane-tethered transcription factor, NAC062/ANAC062/NTL6, mediates the unfolded protein response in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Yang ZT, Lu SJ, Wang MJ, Bi DL, Sun L, Zhou SF, Song ZT, Liu JX
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Exogenous salicylic acid activates two signaling arms of the unfolded protein response in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Nagashima Y, Iwata Y, Ashida M, Mishiba K, Koizumi N
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- The UPR branch IRE1-bZIP60 in plants plays an essential role in viral infection and is complementary to the only UPR pathway in yeast.
- Authors: Zhang L, Chen H, Brandizzi F, Verchot J, Wang A
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Alteration of the bZIP60/IRE1 pathway affects plant response to ER stress in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Humbert S, Zhong S, Deng Y, Howell SH, Rothstein SJ
- Issue date: 2012
- Defects in IRE1 enhance cell death and fail to degrade mRNAs encoding secretory pathway proteins in the Arabidopsis unfolded protein response.
- Authors: Mishiba K, Nagashima Y, Suzuki E, Hayashi N, Ogata Y, Shimada Y, Koizumi N
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 2