Plant transducers of the endoplasmic reticulum unfolded protein response
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/566016
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe unfolded protein response (UPR) activates a set of genes to overcome accumulation of unfolded proteins in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER), a condition termed ER stress, and constitutes an essential part of ER protein quality control that ensures efficient maturation of secretory and membrane proteins in eukaryotes. Recent studies on Arabidopsis and rice identified the signaling pathway in which the ER membrane-localized ribonuclease IRE1 (inositol-requiring enzyme 1) catalyzes unconventional cytoplasmic splicing of mRNA, thereby producing the active transcription factor Arabidopsis bZIP60 (basic leucine zipper 60) and its ortholog in rice. Here we review recent findings identifying the molecular components of the plant UPR, including IRE1/bZIP60 and the membrane-bound transcription factors bZIP17 and bZIP28, and implicating its importance in several physiological phenomena such as pathogen response. © 2012 Elsevier Ltd.
JournalTrends in Plant Science
- Recovery from temporary endoplasmic reticulum stress in plants relies on the tissue-specific and largely independent roles of bZIP28 and bZIP60, as well as an antagonizing function of BAX-Inhibitor 1 upon the pro-adaptive signaling mediated by bZIP28.
- Authors: Ruberti C, Lai Y, Brandizzi F
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- A plasma membrane-tethered transcription factor, NAC062/ANAC062/NTL6, mediates the unfolded protein response in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Yang ZT, Lu SJ, Wang MJ, Bi DL, Sun L, Zhou SF, Song ZT, Liu JX
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Exogenous salicylic acid activates two signaling arms of the unfolded protein response in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Nagashima Y, Iwata Y, Ashida M, Mishiba K, Koizumi N
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Salicylic acid-independent role of NPR1 is required for protection from proteotoxic stress in the plant endoplasmic reticulum.
- Authors: Lai YS, Renna L, Yarema J, Ruberti C, He SY, Brandizzi F
- Issue date: 2018 May 29
- Alteration of the bZIP60/IRE1 pathway affects plant response to ER stress in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Humbert S, Zhong S, Deng Y, Howell SH, Rothstein SJ
- Issue date: 2012