KAUST DepartmentComputational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/566007
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) have been found to perform various functions in a wide variety of important biological processes. To make easier interpretation of lncRNA functionality and conduct deep mining on these transcribed sequences, it is convenient to classify lncRNAs into different groups. Here, we summarize classification methods of lncRNAs according to their four major features, namely, genomic location and context, effect exerted on DNA sequences, mechanism of functioning and their targeting mechanism. In combination with the presently available function annotations, we explore potential relationships between different classification categories, and generalize and compare biological features of different lncRNAs within each category. Finally, we present our view on potential further studies. We believe that the classifications of lncRNAs as indicated above are of fundamental importance for lncRNA studies, helpful for further investigation of specific lncRNAs, for formulation of new hypothesis based on different features of lncRNA and for exploration of the underlying lncRNA functional mechanisms. © 2013 Landes Bioscience.
SponsorsWe thank Hao Wu and Gang Wu for their valuable comments on this manuscript. This work was supported by grants from National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 31200978 to L.M.), King Abdullah University of Science and Technology research funds (to V.B.B.), the "100-Talent Program" of Chinese Academy of Sciences (Y1SLXb1365 to Z.Z.) and National Programs for High Technology Research and Development (863 Program; Grant No. 2012AA020409 to Z.Z.), the Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China.
PublisherInforma UK Limited
PubMed Central IDPMC4111732
- The Landscape of long noncoding RNA classification.
- Authors: St Laurent G, Wahlestedt C, Kapranov P
- Issue date: 2015 May
- LncRNA ontology: inferring lncRNA functions based on chromatin states and expression patterns.
- Authors: Li Y, Chen H, Pan T, Jiang C, Zhao Z, Wang Z, Zhang J, Xu J, Li X
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 24
- Perspectives on the mechanism of transcriptional regulation by long non-coding RNAs.
- Authors: Roberts TC, Morris KV, Weinberg MS
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Distinct patterns of genetic variations in potential functional elements in long noncoding RNAs.
- Authors: Bhartiya D, Jalali S, Ghosh S, Scaria V
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Functional Classification and Experimental Dissection of Long Noncoding RNAs.
- Authors: Kopp F, Mendell JT
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 25