New approaches to characterizing and understanding biofouling of spiral wound membrane systems
Authorsvan Loosdrecht, Mark C.M.
Bereschenko, Ludmilla A.
Radu, Andrea I.
Kruithof, Joop C.
Johns, Michael L.
Vrouwenvelder, Johannes S.
KAUST DepartmentEnvironmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Online Publication Date2012-06-08
Print Publication Date2012-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/566002
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistorically, biofouling research on spiral wound membrane systems is typically problem solving oriented. Membrane modules are studied as black box systems, investigated by autopsies. Biofouling is not a simple process. Many factors influence each other in a non-linear fashion. These features make biofouling a subject which is not easy to study using a fundamental scientific approach. Nevertheless to solve or minimize the negative impacts of biofouling, a clear understanding of the interacting basic principles is needed. Recent research into microbiological characterizing of biofouling, small scale test units, application of in situ visualization methods, and model approaches allow such an integrated study of biofouling. © IWA Publishing 2012.
JournalWater Science & Technology
- Integrated approach for biofouling control.
- Authors: Vrouwenvelder JS, Kruithof JC, Van Loosdrecht MC
- Issue date: 2010
- A novel scenario for biofouling control of spiral wound membrane systems.
- Authors: Vrouwenvelder JS, Van Loosdrecht MC, Kruithof JC
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Effect of conventional chemical treatment on the microbial population in a biofouling layer of reverse osmosis systems.
- Authors: Bereschenko LA, Prummel H, Euverink GJ, Stams AJ, van Loosdrecht MC
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Biofiltration pretreatment for reverse osmosis (RO) membrane in a water reclamation system.
- Authors: Hu JY, Song LF, Ong SL, Phua ET, Ng WJ
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Threshold concentrations of biomass and iron for pressure drop increase in spiral-wound membrane elements.
- Authors: Hijnen WA, Cornelissen ER, van der Kooij D
- Issue date: 2011 Feb