New approaches to characterizing and understanding biofouling of spiral wound membrane systems
Authorsvan Loosdrecht, Mark C.M.
Bereschenko, Ludmilla A.
Radu, Andrea I.
Kruithof, Joop C.
Johns, Michael L.
Vrouwenvelder, Johannes S.
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/566002
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHistorically, biofouling research on spiral wound membrane systems is typically problem solving oriented. Membrane modules are studied as black box systems, investigated by autopsies. Biofouling is not a simple process. Many factors influence each other in a non-linear fashion. These features make biofouling a subject which is not easy to study using a fundamental scientific approach. Nevertheless to solve or minimize the negative impacts of biofouling, a clear understanding of the interacting basic principles is needed. Recent research into microbiological characterizing of biofouling, small scale test units, application of in situ visualization methods, and model approaches allow such an integrated study of biofouling. © IWA Publishing 2012.
JournalWater Science & Technology
- A review of biofouling and its control in membrane separation bioreactors.
- Authors: Liao BQ, Bagley DM, Kraemer HE, Leppard GG, Liss SN
- Issue date: 2004 Sep-Oct
- Integrated approach for biofouling control.
- Authors: Vrouwenvelder JS, Kruithof JC, Van Loosdrecht MC
- Issue date: 2010
- A novel scenario for biofouling control of spiral wound membrane systems.
- Authors: Vrouwenvelder JS, Van Loosdrecht MC, Kruithof JC
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Membrane biofouling in pilot-scale membrane bioreactors (MBRs) treating municipal wastewater: impact of biofilm formation.
- Authors: Miura Y, Watanabe Y, Okabe S
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 15
- Effect of conventional chemical treatment on the microbial population in a biofouling layer of reverse osmosis systems.
- Authors: Bereschenko LA, Prummel H, Euverink GJ, Stams AJ, van Loosdrecht MC
- Issue date: 2011 Jan