KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis critical review deals with the applications of nanocatalysts in Suzuki coupling reactions, a field that has attracted immense interest in the chemical, materials and industrial communities. We intend to present a broad overview of nanocatalysts for Suzuki coupling reactions with an emphasis on their performance, stability and reusability. We begin the review with a discussion on the importance of Suzuki cross-coupling reactions, and we then discuss fundamental aspects of nanocatalysis, such as the effects of catalyst size and shape. Next, we turn to the core focus of this review: the synthesis, advantages and disadvantages of nanocatalysts for Suzuki coupling reactions. We begin with various nanocatalysts that are based on conventional supports, such as high surface silica, carbon nanotubes, polymers, metal oxides and double hydroxides. Thereafter, we reviewed nanocatalysts based on non-conventional supports, such as dendrimers, cyclodextrin and magnetic nanomaterials. Finally, we discuss nanocatalyst systems that are based on non-conventional media, i.e., fluorous media and ionic liquids, for use in Suzuki reactions. At the end of this review, we summarise the significance of nanocatalysts, their impacts on conventional catalysis and perspectives for further developments of Suzuki cross-coupling reactions (131 references). © 2011 The Royal Society of Chemistry.
SponsorsWe gratefully acknowledge funding and support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalChemical Society Reviews
- Recent advances in noble metal nanocatalysts for Suzuki and Heck cross-coupling reactions.
- Authors: Narayanan R
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 25
- Ruthenium nanocatalysis on redox reactions.
- Authors: Veerakumar P, Ramdass A, Rajagopal S
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- A Review on Recent Advances in the Application of Nanocatalysts in A<sup>3</sup> Coupling Reactions.
- Authors: Nasrollahzadeh M, Sajjadi M, Ghorbannezhad F, Sajadi SM
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 14
- Well-defined N-heterocyclic carbenes-palladium(II) precatalysts for cross-coupling reactions.
- Authors: Marion N, Nolan SP
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 18
- Nanoparticles as recyclable catalysts: the frontier between homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis.
- Authors: Astruc D, Lu F, Aranzaes JR
- Issue date: 2005 Dec 9