Luque, Rafael L.
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/565992
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA broad overview on magnetically recoverable nanocatalysts is presented and the use of magnetic nanomaterials as catalysts is discussed. Magnetic materials are used as organocatalysts and their applications range to challenging reactions, such as hydroformylation and olefin metathesis. Magnetic nanomaterials are also being used in environmental applications, such as for photo- and biocatalysis and for the adsorption and removal of pollutants from air and water. These materials show great promise as enantioselective catalysts, which are used extensively for the synthesis of medicines, drugs, and other bioactive molecules. By functionalizing these materials using chiral ligands, a series of chiral nanocatalysts can be designed, offering great potential to reuse these otherwise expensive catalyst systems. Characterization of magnetic catalysts is often a challenging task, and NMR characterization of these catalysts is difficult because the magnetic nature of the materials interferes with the magnetic field of the spectrometer.
CitationPolshettiwar, V., Luque, R., Fihri, A., Zhu, H., Bouhrara, M., & Basset, J.-M. (2011). Magnetically Recoverable Nanocatalysts. Chemical Reviews, 111(5), 3036–3075. doi:10.1021/cr100230z
SponsorsWe gratefully acknowledge funding and support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Thanks are also due to the KAUST communication department for designing several images for this Review.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Magnetically recoverable core-shell nanocomposites with enhanced photocatalytic activity.
- Authors: Ye M, Zhang Q, Hu Y, Ge J, Lu Z, He L, Chen Z, Yin Y
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 1
- Asymmetric hydrosilylation of ketones catalyzed by magnetically recoverable and reusable copper ferrite nanoparticles.
- Authors: Kantam ML, Yadav J, Laha S, Srinivas P, Sreedhar B, Figueras F
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 19
- Magnetically separable, carbon-supported nanocatalysts for the manufacture of fine chemicals.
- Authors: Tsang SC, Caps V, Paraskevas I, Chadwick D, Thompsett D
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 25
- Magnetically recoverable SiO2-coated Fe3O4 nanoparticles: a new platform for asymmetric transfer hydrogenation of aromatic ketones in aqueous medium.
- Authors: Sun Y, Liu G, Gu H, Huang T, Zhang Y, Li H
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 7
- Catalytic reduction of 4-nitrophenol by magnetically recoverable Au nanocatalyst.
- Authors: Chang YC, Chen DH
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 15