Defining the protein interaction network of human malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/565967
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMalaria, caused by the protozoan parasite Plasmodium falciparum, affects around 225. million people yearly and a huge international effort is directed towards combating this grave threat to world health and economic development. Considerable advances have been made in malaria research triggered by the sequencing of its genome in 2002, followed by several high-throughput studies defining the malaria transcriptome and proteome. A protein-protein interaction (PPI) network seeks to trace the dynamic interactions between proteins, thereby elucidating their local and global functional relationships. Experimentally derived PPI network from high-throughput methods such as yeast two hybrid (Y2H) screens are inherently noisy, but combining these independent datasets by computational methods tends to give a greater accuracy and coverage. This review aims to discuss the computational approaches used till date to construct a malaria protein interaction network and to catalog the functional predictions and biological inferences made from analysis of the PPI network. © 2011 Elsevier Inc.
SponsorsThis work was funded by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Thuwal, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A protein interaction network of the malaria parasite Plasmodium falciparum.
- Authors: LaCount DJ, Vignali M, Chettier R, Phansalkar A, Bell R, Hesselberth JR, Schoenfeld LW, Ota I, Sahasrabudhe S, Kurschner C, Fields S, Hughes RE
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 3
- Systems analysis of chaperone networks in the malarial parasite Plasmodium falciparum.
- Authors: Pavithra SR, Kumar R, Tatu U
- Issue date: 2007 Sep
- Identification of important interacting proteins (IIPs) in Plasmodium falciparum using large-scale interaction network analysis and in-silico knock-out studies.
- Authors: Bhattacharyya M, Chakrabarti S
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 8
- A draft of protein interactions in the malaria parasite P. falciparum.
- Authors: Wuchty S, Ipsaro JJ
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- PlasmoID: A P. falciparum protein information discovery tool.
- Authors: Rao A, Yeleswarapu SJ, Raghavendra G, Srinivasan R, Bulusu G
- Issue date: 2009