The RNA-binding protein HOS5 and serine/arginine-rich proteins RS40 and RS41 participate in miRNA biogenesis in Arabidopsis
Online Publication Date2015-07-30
Print Publication Date2015-09-30
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/565054
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicroRNAs are a class of small regulatory RNAs that are generated from primary miRNA (pri-miRNA) transcripts with a stem-loop structure. Accuracy of the processing of pri-miRNA into mature miRNA in plants can be enhanced by SERRATE (SE) and HYPONASTIC LEAVES 1 (HYL1). HYL1 activity is regulated by the FIERY2 (FRY2)/RNA polymerase II C-terminal domain phosphatase-like 1 (CPL1). Here, we discover that HIGH OSMOTIC STRESS GENE EXPRESSION 5 (HOS5) and two serine/arginine-rich splicing factors RS40 and RS41, previously shown to be involved in pre-mRNA splicing, affect the biogenesis of a subset of miRNA. These proteins are required for correct miRNA strand selection and the maintenance of miRNA levels. FRY2 dephosphorylates HOS5 whose phosphorylation status affects its subnuclear localization. HOS5 and the RS proteins bind both intronless and intron-containing pri-miRNAs. Importantly, all of these splicing-related factors directly interact with both HYL1 and SE in nuclear splicing speckles. Our results indicate that these splicing factors are directly involved in the biogenesis of a group of miRNA.
CitationThe RNA-binding protein HOS5 and serine/arginine-rich proteins RS40 and RS41 participate in miRNA biogenesis in Arabidopsis 2015:gkv751 Nucleic Acids Research
PublisherOxford University Press (OUP)
JournalNucleic Acids Research
- A KH-domain RNA-binding protein interacts with FIERY2/CTD phosphatase-like 1 and splicing factors and is important for pre-mRNA splicing in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Chen T, Cui P, Chen H, Ali S, Zhang S, Xiong L
- Issue date: 2013
- Fast-forward genetics identifies plant CPL phosphatases as regulators of miRNA processing factor HYL1.
- Authors: Manavella PA, Hagmann J, Ott F, Laubinger S, Franz M, Macek B, Weigel D
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 9
- Dual roles of the nuclear cap-binding complex and SERRATE in pre-mRNA splicing and microRNA processing in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Laubinger S, Sachsenberg T, Zeller G, Busch W, Lohmann JU, Rätsch G, Weigel D
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 24
- Dissecting the interactions of SERRATE with RNA and DICER-LIKE 1 in Arabidopsis microRNA precursor processing.
- Authors: Iwata Y, Takahashi M, Fedoroff NV, Hamdan SM
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Homodimerization of HYL1 ensures the correct selection of cleavage sites in primary miRNA.
- Authors: Yang X, Ren W, Zhao Q, Zhang P, Wu F, He Y
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 29