KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/564687
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMulti-drug resistance (MDR) is a trend whereby tumor cells exposed to one cytotoxic agent develop cross-resistance to a range of structurally and functionally unrelated compounds. P -glycoprotein (P -gp) efflux pump is one of the mostly studied drug carrying processes that shuttle the drugs out of tumor cells. Thus, P -gp inhibitors have attracted a lot of attention as they can stop cancer drugs from being pumped out of target cells with the consumption of ATP. Using quantitive structure activity relationship (QSAR), we have successfully synthesized a series of novel P -gp inhibitors. The obtained dihydropyrroloquinoxalines series were fully characterized and then tested against bacterial and tumor assays with over-expressed P -gps. All compounds were bioactive especially compound 1c that had enhanced antibacterial activity. Furthermore, these compounds were utilized as targeting vectors to direct drug delivery vehicles such as silica nanoparticles (SNPs) to cancerous Hela cells with over expressed P -gps. Cell uptake studies showed a successful accumulation of these decorated SNPs in tumor cells compared to undecorated SNPs. The results obtained show that dihydropyrroloquinoxalines constitute a promising drug candidate for targeting cancers with MDR. Copyright © 2013 American Scientific Publishers All rights reserved.
PublisherAmerican Scientific Publishers
- Inhibitors of p-glycoprotein--lead identification and optimisation.
- Authors: Pleban K, Ecker GF
- Issue date: 2005 Feb
- Reversal of P-glycoprotein-mediated multidrug resistance by CD44 antibody-targeted nanocomplexes for short hairpin RNA-encoding plasmid DNA delivery.
- Authors: Gu J, Fang X, Hao J, Sha X
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Quantitative Structure⁻Activity Relationships for the Flavonoid-Mediated Inhibition of P-Glycoprotein in KB/MDR1 Cells.
- Authors: Xia M, Fang Y, Cao W, Liang F, Pan S, Xu X
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 27
- Mini review on molecular modeling of P-glycoprotein (Pgp).
- Authors: Ha SN, Hochman J, Sheridan RP
- Issue date: 2007
- Sugar-decorated mesoporous silica nanoparticles as delivery vehicles for the poorly soluble drug celastrol enables targeted induction of apoptosis in cancer cells.
- Authors: Niemelä E, Desai D, Nkizinkiko Y, Eriksson JE, Rosenholm JM
- Issue date: 2015 Oct