Analytical study of dispersion relations for shear horizontal wave propagation in plates with periodic stubs
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe coupled mode theory with coupling of diffraction modes and waveguide modes is usually used on the calculations of transmission and reflection coefficients for electromagnetic waves traveling through periodic sub-wavelength structures. In this paper, I extend this method to derive analytical solutions of high-order dispersion relations for shear horizontal (SH) wave propagation in elastic plates with periodic stubs. In the long wavelength regime, the explicit expression is obtained by this theory and derived specially by employing an effective medium. This indicates that the periodical stubs are equivalent to an effective homogenous layer in the long wavelength. Notably, in the short wavelength regime, high-order diffraction modes in the plate and high-order waveguide modes in the stubs are considered with modes coupling to compute the band structures. Numerical results of the coupled mode theory fit pretty well with the results of the finite element method (FEM). In addition, the band structures' evolution with the height of the stubs and the thickness of the plate shows clearly that the method can predict well the Bragg band gaps, locally resonant band gaps and high-order symmetric and anti-symmetric thickness-twist modes for the periodically structured plates. © 2015 Elsevier B.V.
SponsorsThis work is supported by the KAUST Baseline Research Fund.
- Shear horizontal wave propagation in a periodic stubbed plate and its application in rainbow trapping.
- Authors: Li P, Cheng L
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- SH wave propagation in magnetic-electric periodically layered plates.
- Authors: Pang Y, Gao JS, Liu JX
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Off-axis propagation of ultrasonic guided waves in thin orthotropic layers: theoretical analysis and dynamic holographic imaging measurement.
- Authors: Mukdadi OM, Datta SK, Telschow KL, Deason VA
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- Reliability assessment of different plate theories for elastic wave propagation analysis in functionally graded plates.
- Authors: Mehrkash M, Azhari M, Mirdamadi HR
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Plate-mode waves in phononic crystal thin slabs: mode conversion.
- Authors: Chen JJ, Bonello B, Hou ZL
- Issue date: 2008 Sep