Effect of Support on Metathesis of n-Decane: Drastic Improvement in Alkane Metathesis with WMe5 Linked to Silica-Alumina
KAUST DepartmentAli I. Al-Naimi Petroleum Engineering Research Center (ANPERC)
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-03-11
Print Publication Date2015-04-13
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/564103
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract[WMe6] (1) supported on the surface of SiO2-Al2O3(500) (2) has been extensively characterized by solid-state NMR spectroscopy, elemental analysis, and gas quantification, which clearly reveal the formation of a mixture of monopodal and bipodal species with the migration of methyl from W to Al. The supported species SiO2-Al2O3(500) (2) transformed at 120°C into two types of carbynic centers, one of which is cationic and the other neutral. These species are very efficient for the metathesis of n-decane. Comparison with already-synthesized neutral bipodal tungsten indicates that the high increase in activity is due to the cationic character of the grafted tungsten.
CitationSamantaray, M. K., Dey, R., Abou-Hamad, E., Hamieh, A., & Basset, J.-M. (2015). Effect of Support on Metathesis ofn-Decane: Drastic Improvement in Alkane Metathesis with WMe5Linked to Silica-Alumina. Chemistry - A European Journal, 21(16), 6100–6106. doi:10.1002/chem.201406033
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the KAUST Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Core Lab and technical assistance from Dr. Kazuo Yamauchi. The authors also thank Professor Lyndon Emsley, Dr. Emmanuel Callens, and Dr. Nassima Riache for fruitful discussions. This work was supported by funds from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
JournalChemistry - A European Journal
- Synthesis and characterization of a homogeneous and silica supported homoleptic cationic tungsten(vi) methyl complex: application in olefin metathesis.
- Authors: Dey R, Samantaray MK, Poater A, Hamieh A, Kavitake S, Abou-Hamad E, Callens E, Emwas AH, Cavallo L, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 13
- WMe6 tamed by silica: ≡Si-O-WMe5 as an efficient, well-defined species for alkane metathesis, leading to the observation of a supported W-methyl/methylidyne species.
- Authors: Samantaray MK, Callens E, Abou-Hamad E, Rossini AJ, Widdifield CM, Dey R, Emsley L, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 22
- Alkane metathesis by tandem alkane-dehydrogenation-olefin-metathesis catalysis and related chemistry.
- Authors: Haibach MC, Kundu S, Brookhart M, Goldman AS
- Issue date: 2012 Jun 19
- Metal Alkyls with Alkylidynic Metal-Carbon Bond Character: Key Electronic Structures in Alkane Metathesis Precatalysts.
- Authors: Gordon CP, Copéret C
- Issue date: 2020 Apr 27
- Synergy between Two Metal Catalysts: A Highly Active Silica-Supported Bimetallic W/Zr Catalyst for Metathesis of n-Decane.
- Authors: Samantaray MK, Dey R, Kavitake S, Abou-Hamad E, Bendjeriou-Sedjerari A, Hamieh A, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 13