Stable solar-driven oxidation of water by semiconducting photoanodes protected by transparent catalytic nickel oxide films
Saadi, Fadl H.
Lichterman, Michael F.
Hale, William G.
Plymale, Noah T.
Omelchenko, Stefan T.
Papadantonakis, Kimberly M.
Brunschwig, Bruce S.
Lewis, Nathan S.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Nano Energy Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/564102
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractReactively sputtered nickel oxide (NiOx) films provide transparent, antireflective, electrically conductive, chemically stable coatings that also are highly active electrocatalysts for the oxidation of water to O2(g). These NiOx coatings provide protective layers on a variety of technologically important semiconducting photoanodes, including textured crystalline Si passivated by amorphous silicon, crystalline n-type cadmium telluride, and hydrogenated amorphous silicon. Under anodic operation in 1.0 M aqueous potassium hydroxide (pH 14) in the presence of simulated sunlight, the NiOx films stabilized all of these self-passivating, high-efficiency semiconducting photoelectrodes for >100 h of sustained, quantitative solar-driven oxidation of water to O2(g). © 2015, National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis material is based on work performed by the Joint Center for Artificial Photosynthesis, a Department of Energy (DOE) Energy Innovation Hub, supported through the Office of Science of the US DOE under Award DE-SC0004993. N.T.P. acknowledges support from the Graduate Research Fellowship Program of the US National Science Foundation. B.S.B. was supported by the Beckman Institute of the California Institute of Technology. This work was also supported by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation under Award GBMF1225.
PubMed Central IDPMC4378389
- Stable Solar-Driven Water Oxidation to O2(g) by Ni-Oxide-Coated Silicon Photoanodes.
- Authors: Sun K, McDowell MT, Nielander AC, Hu S, Shaner MR, Yang F, Brunschwig BS, Lewis NS
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 19
- Amorphous TiO₂ coatings stabilize Si, GaAs, and GaP photoanodes for efficient water oxidation.
- Authors: Hu S, Shaner MR, Beardslee JA, Lichterman M, Brunschwig BS, Lewis NS
- Issue date: 2014 May 30
- The influence of structure and processing on the behavior of TiO2 protective layers for stabilization of n-Si/TiO2/Ni photoanodes for water oxidation.
- Authors: McDowell MT, Lichterman MF, Carim AI, Liu R, Hu S, Brunschwig BS, Lewis NS
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 22
- High-performance silicon photoanodes passivated with ultrathin nickel films for water oxidation.
- Authors: Kenney MJ, Gong M, Li Y, Wu JZ, Feng J, Lanza M, Dai H
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 15
- Si photoanode protected by a metal modified ITO layer with ultrathin NiO(x) for solar water oxidation.
- Authors: Sun K, Shen S, Cheung JS, Pang X, Park N, Zhou J, Hu Y, Sun Z, Noh SY, Riley CT, Yu PK, Jin S, Wang D
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 14