Molecular-structure control of ultrafast electron injection at cationic porphyrin-CdTe quantum dot interfaces
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCharge transfer (CT) at donor (D)/acceptor (A) interfaces is central to the functioning of photovoltaic and light-emitting devices. Understanding and controlling this process on the molecular level has been proven to be crucial for optimizing the performance of many energy-challenge relevant devices. Here, we report the experimental observations of controlled on/off ultrafast electron transfer (ET) at cationic porphyrin-CdTe quantum dot (QD) interfaces using femto- and nanosecond broad-band transient absorption (TA) spectroscopy. The time-resolved data demonstrate how one can turn on/off the electron injection from porphyrin to the CdTe QDs. With careful control of the molecular structure, we are able to tune the electron injection at the porphyrin-CdTe QD interface from zero to very efficient and ultrafast. In addition, our data demonstrate that the ET process occurs within our temporal resolution of 120 fs, which is one of the fastest times recorded for organic photovoltaics. © 2015 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsS.M.A. is grateful for the postdoctoral fellowship provided by SABIC. The work reported here was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Ultrafast Photoinduced Electron Transfer in a π-Conjugated Oligomer/Porphyrin Complex.
- Authors: Aly SM, Goswami S, Alsulami QA, Schanze KS, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 2
- Quantum confinement-tunable ultrafast charge transfer at the PbS quantum dot and phenyl-C₆₁-butyric acid methyl ester interface.
- Authors: El-Ballouli AO, Alarousu E, Bernardi M, Aly SM, Lagrow AP, Bakr OM, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2014 May 14
- Photophysical studies of CdTe quantum dots in the presence of a zinc cationic porphyrin.
- Authors: Keane PM, Gallagher SA, Magno LM, Leising MJ, Clark IP, Greetham GM, Towrie M, Gun'ko YK, Kelly JM, Quinn SJ
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 14
- Electrochemical control over photoinduced electron transfer and trapping in CdSe-CdTe quantum-dot solids.
- Authors: Boehme SC, Walvis TA, Infante I, Grozema FC, Vanmaekelbergh D, Siebbeles LD, Houtepen AJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 22
- Wave function engineering for ultrafast charge separation and slow charge recombination in type II core/shell quantum dots.
- Authors: Zhu H, Song N, Lian T
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 8