Colorimetric peroxidase mimetic assay for uranyl detection in sea water
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/564097
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUranyl (UO2 2+) is a form of uranium in aqueous solution that represents the greatest risk to human health because of its bioavailability. Different sensing techniques have been used with very sensitive detection limits especially the recently reported uranyl-specific DNAzymes systems. However, to the best of our knowledge, few efficient detection methods have been reported for uranyl sensing in seawater. Herein, gold nanoclusters (AuNCs) are employed in an efficient spectroscopic method to detect uranyl ion (UO2 2+) with a detection limit of 1.86 ÎM. In the absence of UO2 2+, the BSA-stabilized AuNCs (BSA-AuNCs) showed an intrinsic peroxidase-like activity. In the presence of UO2 2+, this activity can be efficiently restrained. The preliminary quenching mechanism and selectivity of UO2 2+ was also investigated and compared with other ions. This design strategy could be useful in understanding the binding affinity of protein-stabilized AuNCs to UO2 2+ and consequently prompt the recycling of UO2 2+ from seawater.
SponsorsThe authors gratefully acknowledge King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for the support of this work.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Highly sensitive and selective colorimetric sensors for uranyl (UO2(2+)): development and comparison of labeled and label-free DNAzyme-gold nanoparticle systems.
- Authors: Lee JH, Wang Z, Liu J, Lu Y
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 29
- BSA-stabilized Pt nanozyme for peroxidase mimetics and its application on colorimetric detection of mercury(II) ions.
- Authors: Li W, Chen B, Zhang H, Sun Y, Wang J, Zhang J, Fu Y
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 15
- A dual fluorometric and colorimetric sensor for dopamine based on BSA-stabilized Au nanoclusters.
- Authors: Tao Y, Lin Y, Ren J, Qu X
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 15
- Design and synthesis of target-responsive hydrogel for portable visual quantitative detection of uranium with a microfluidic distance-based readout device.
- Authors: Huang Y, Fang L, Zhu Z, Ma Y, Zhou L, Chen X, Xu D, Yang C
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 15
- Visual observation of the mercury-stimulated peroxidase mimetic activity of gold nanoparticles.
- Authors: Long YJ, Li YF, Liu Y, Zheng JJ, Tang J, Huang CZ
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 21