Magnetic resonance signal moment determination using the Earth's magnetic field
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate a method to manipulate magnetic resonance data such that the moments of the signal spatial distribution are readily accessible. Usually, magnetic resonance imaging relies on data acquired in so-called k-space which is subsequently Fourier transformed to render an image. Here, via analysis of the complex signal in the vicinity of the centre of k-space we are able to access the first three moments of the signal spatial distribution, ultimately in multiple directions. This is demonstrated for biofouling of a reverse osmosis (RO) membrane module, rendering unique information and an early warning of the onset of fouling. The analysis is particularly applicable for the use of mobile magnetic resonance spectrometers; here we demonstrate it using an Earth's magnetic field system.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge funding for the Earth's field NMR instrument from the ARC via LE110100189. SAC acknowledges scholarship funding from the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust.
JournalJournal of Magnetic Resonance
- Extending the use of Earth's Field NMR using Bayesian methodology: application to particle sizing.
- Authors: Ross JG, Holland DJ, Blake A, Sederman AJ, Gladden LF
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Magnetic compass orientation in the blind mole rat Spalax ehrenbergi.
- Authors: Kimchi T, Terkel J
- Issue date: 2001 Feb
- NMR imaging in the earth's magnetic field.
- Authors: Stepisnik J, Erzen V, Kos M
- Issue date: 1990 Sep
- Validation of 3D simulations of reverse osmosis membrane biofouling.
- Authors: Pintelon TR, Creber SA, von der Schulenburg DA, Johns ML
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 1
- The effect of the earth's and stray magnetic fields on mobile mass spectrometer systems.
- Authors: Bell RJ, Davey NG, Martinsen M, Short RT, Gill CG, Krogh ET
- Issue date: 2015 Feb