Low trap-state density and long carrier diffusion in organolead trihalide perovskite single crystals
Buin, Andrei K.
Hoogland, Sjoerd H.
Losovyj, Yaroslav B.
Dowben, Peter A.
Mohammed, Omar F.
Sargent, E. H.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Functional Nanomaterials Lab (FuNL)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe fundamental properties and ultimate performance limits of organolead trihalide MAPbX3(MA = CH3NH3 +; X = Br- or I- ) perovskites remain obscured by extensive disorder in polycrystalline MAPbX3 films. We report an antisolvent vapor-assisted crystallization approach that enables us to create sizable crack-free MAPbX3 single crystals with volumes exceeding 100 cubic millimeters. These large single crystals enabled a detailed characterization of their optical and charge transport characteristics.We observed exceptionally low trap-state densities on the order of 109 to 1010 per cubic centimeter in MAPbX3 single crystals (comparable to the best photovoltaic-quality silicon) and charge carrier diffusion lengths exceeding 10 micrometers. These results were validated with density functional theory calculations.
SponsorsWe thank N. Kherani, B. Ramautarsingh, A. Flood, and P. O'Brien for the use of the Hall setup. Supported by KAUST (O.M.B.) and by KAUST award KUS-11-009-21, the Ontario Research Fund Research Excellence Program, and the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (E.H.S.).
- High-quality bulk hybrid perovskite single crystals within minutes by inverse temperature crystallization.
- Authors: Saidaminov MI, Abdelhady AL, Murali B, Alarousu E, Burlakov VM, Peng W, Dursun I, Wang L, He Y, Maculan G, Goriely A, Wu T, Mohammed OF, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 6
- Solar cells. Electron-hole diffusion lengths > 175 μm in solution-grown CH3NH3PbI3 single crystals.
- Authors: Dong Q, Fang Y, Shao Y, Mulligan P, Qiu J, Cao L, Huang J
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 27
- Manipulating Crystallization of Organolead Mixed-Halide Thin Films in Antisolvent Baths for Wide-Bandgap Perovskite Solar Cells.
- Authors: Zhou Y, Yang M, Game OS, Wu W, Kwun J, Strauss MA, Yan Y, Huang J, Zhu K, Padture NP
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 27
- CH3NH3PbCl3 Single Crystals: Inverse Temperature Crystallization and Visible-Blind UV-Photodetector.
- Authors: Maculan G, Sheikh AD, Abdelhady AL, Saidaminov MI, Haque MA, Murali B, Alarousu E, Mohammed OF, Wu T, Bakr OM
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1
- Photoinduced Giant Dielectric Constant in Lead Halide Perovskite Solar Cells.
- Authors: Juarez-Perez EJ, Sanchez RS, Badia L, Garcia-Belmonte G, Kang YS, Mora-Sero I, Bisquert J
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 3