Synthesis and self-assembly of Chitosan-g-Polystyrene copolymer: A new route for the preparation of heavy metal nanoparticles
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563976
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmphiphilic graft copolymers made of a Chitosan (CS) backbone and three arm polystyrene (PS) grafts were prepared by "grafting onto" strategy using Toluene Diisocyanate. IR spectroscopy and SEC show the successful grafting process. SEM pictures of Chitosan-g-Polystyrene (CS-g-PS) indicate a spherulite like surface and exhibit properties that result from the disappearance of Chitosan crystallinity. The introduced polystyrene star grafts units improve hydrophobic properties considerably as confirmed by the very high solubility of (CS-g-PS) in organic solvents. The graft copolymer which self-assembles into polymeric micelles in organic media demonstrates much better adsorption of transition and inner transition metal ions than pure Chitosan whose amine groups are not necessarily available due to crystallinity.
SponsorsRF gratefully thank Prof. R.S.Duran, LSU, USA for the useful discussions in making the precursor star polymer. DKB thank Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Govt of India for research fellowship. RF and DKB also thank University Grants Commission (UGC) - India, Science and Engineering Research Board-Department of Science & Technology (SERB-DST) - India, Fund for Improvement of Science & Technology (FIST) - India and Kerala State Government for financial support.
- Spherical polystyrene-supported chitosan thin film of fast kinetics and high capacity for copper removal.
- Authors: Jiang W, Chen X, Pan B, Zhang Q, Teng L, Chen Y, Liu L
- Issue date: 2014 Jul 15
- Synthesis and characterization of graft copolymers of chitosan with NIPAM and binary monomers for removal of Cr(VI), Cu(II) and Fe(II) metal ions from aqueous solutions.
- Authors: Lalita, Singh AP, Sharma RK
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Hybrid molecular brushes with chitosan backbone: facile synthesis and surface grafting.
- Authors: Hall-Edgefield DL, Shi T, Nguyen K, Sidorenko A
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 24
- Preparation, characterization, and self-assembled properties of biodegradable chitosan-poly(L-lactide) hybrid amphiphiles.
- Authors: Feng H, Dong CM
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Comparative studies on the removal of heavy metals ions onto cross linked chitosan-g-acrylonitrile copolymer.
- Authors: Shankar P, Gomathi T, Vijayalakshmi K, Sudha PN
- Issue date: 2014 Jun