Carrier dynamics of a visible-light-responsive Ta3N5 photoanode for water oxidation
Dhawale, Dattatray Sadashiv
Silva, Diego Alves
Mohammed, Omar F.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Chemical Science Program
Chemical and Biological Engineering Program
Catalysis for Energy Conversion (CatEC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe physicochemical properties of a tantalum nitride (Ta3N5) photoanode were investigated in detail to understand the fundamental aspects associated with the photoelectrochemical (PEC) water oxidation. The Ta3N5 thin films were synthesized using DC magnetron sputtering followed by annealing in air and nitridation under ammonia (NH3). A polycrystalline structure with a dense morphology of the monoclinic Ta3N5 films was obtained. A relatively low absorption coefficient (104 to 105 cm-1) in the visible light range was measured for Ta3N5, consistent with the nature of the indirect band-gap. Ultra-fast spectroscopic measurements revealed that the Ta3N5 with different thicknesses films possess low transport properties and fast carrier recombination (<10 ps). These critical kinetic properties of Ta3N5 as a photoanode may necessitate high overpotentials to achieve appreciable photocurrents for water oxidation (onset ∼0.6 V vs. RHE). This journal is
SponsorsThis reported work is supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalPhys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
- Ta3N5 nanotube arrays for visible light water photoelectrolysis.
- Authors: Feng X, Latempa TJ, Basham JI, Mor GK, Varghese OK, Grimes CA
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 10
- Structural, optical and photoelectrochemical characterizations of monoclinic Ta3N5 thin films.
- Authors: Khan S, Zapata MJ, Pereira MB, Gonçalves RV, Strizik L, Dupont J, Santos MJ, Teixeira SR
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 7
- Surface-Modified Ta<sub>3</sub>N<sub>5</sub> Nanocrystals with Boron for Enhanced Visible-Light-Driven Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting.
- Authors: Kim YW, Cha S, Kwak I, Kwon IS, Park K, Jung CS, Cha EH, Park J
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 25
- Mg-Zr Cosubstituted Ta3N5 Photoanode for Lower-Onset-Potential Solar-Driven Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting.
- Authors: Seo J, Takata T, Nakabayashi M, Hisatomi T, Shibata N, Minegishi T, Domen K
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 14
- Charge separation properties of Ta<sub>3</sub>N<sub>5</sub> photoanodes synthesized via a simple metal-organic-precursor decomposition process.
- Authors: Han SG, Chae SY, Lee SY, Min BK, Hwang YJ
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 24