Nano-design of quantum dot-based photocatalysts for hydrogen generation using advanced surface molecular chemistry
Isimjan, Tayirjan T.
Del Gobbo, Silvano
Hedhili, Mohamed N.
Anjum, Dalaver H.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Chemical Science Program
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Catalysis for Energy Conversion (CatEC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563933
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEfficient photocatalytic hydrogen generation in a suspension system requires a sophisticated nano-device that combines a photon absorber with effective redox catalysts. This study demonstrates an innovative molecular linking strategy for fabricating photocatalytic materials that allow effective charge separation of excited carriers, followed by efficient hydrogen evolution. The method for the sequential replacement of ligands with appropriate molecules developed in this study tethers both quantum dots (QDs), as photosensitizers, and metal nanoparticles, as hydrogen evolution catalysts, to TiO2 surfaces in a controlled manner at the nano-level. Combining hydrophobic and hydrophilic interactions on the surface, CdSe-ZnS core-shell QDs and an Au-Pt alloy were attached to TiO2 without overlapping during the synthesis. The resultant nano-photocatalysts achieved substantially high-performance visible-light-driven photocatalysis for hydrogen evolution. All syntheses were conducted at room temperature and in ambient air, providing a promising route for fabricating visible-light-responsive photocatalysts.
SponsorsThe research reported herein was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalPhys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
- Photodriven charge separation dynamics in CdSe/ZnS core/shell quantum dot/cobaloxime hybrid for efficient hydrogen production.
- Authors: Huang J, Mulfort KL, Du P, Chen LX
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 10
- Ultrafast exciton dynamics and light-driven H2 evolution in colloidal semiconductor nanorods and Pt-tipped nanorods.
- Authors: Wu K, Zhu H, Lian T
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 17
- Au@TiO2-CdS ternary nanostructures for efficient visible-light-driven hydrogen generation.
- Authors: Fang J, Xu L, Zhang Z, Yuan Y, Cao S, Wang Z, Yin L, Liao Y, Xue C
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 28
- Photocatalytic hydrogen generation from water under visible light using core/shell nano-catalysts.
- Authors: Wang X, Shih K, Li XY
- Issue date: 2010
- Efficient complete oxidation of acetaldehyde into CO2 over Au/TiO2 core-shell nano catalyst under UV and visible light irradiation.
- Authors: Song H, Yu YT, Norby P
- Issue date: 2009 Oct