A highly selective copper-indium bimetallic electrocatalyst for the electrochemical reduction of aqueous CO2to CO
Anjum, Dalaver H.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Catalysis for Energy Conversion (CatEC)
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2014-12-23
Print Publication Date2015-02-09
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563928
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe challenge in the electrochemical reduction of aqueous carbon dioxide is in designing a highly selective, energy-efficient, and non-precious-metal electrocatalyst that minimizes the competitive reduction of proton to form hydrogen during aqueous CO2 conversion. A non-noble metal electrocatalyst based on a copper-indium (Cu-In) alloy that selectively converts CO2 to CO with a low overpotential is reported. The electrochemical deposition of In on rough Cu surfaces led to Cu-In alloy surfaces. DFT calculations showed that the In preferentially located on the edge sites rather than on the corner or flat sites and that the d-electron nature of Cu remained almost intact, but adsorption properties of neighboring Cu was perturbed by the presence of In. This preparation of non-noble metal alloy electrodes for the reduction of CO2 provides guidelines for further improving electrocatalysis.
CitationRasul, S., Anjum, D. H., Jedidi, A., Minenkov, Y., Cavallo, L., & Takanabe, K. (2014). A Highly Selective Copper-Indium Bimetallic Electrocatalyst for the Electrochemical Reduction of Aqueous CO2to CO. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 54(7), 2146–2150. doi:10.1002/anie.201410233
SponsorsThe research reported herein was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. L.C. and A.J. are grateful to the KAUST Supercomputing Laboratory for the resources provided under the project k199.
- Selective electrochemical reduction of CO2 to CO on CuO-derived Cu nanowires.
- Authors: Ma M, Djanashvili K, Smith WA
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 28
- Highly Efficient Electroreduction of CO<sub>2</sub> to Methanol on Palladium-Copper Bimetallic Aerogels.
- Authors: Lu L, Sun X, Ma J, Yang D, Wu H, Zhang B, Zhang J, Han B
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 22
- Electrochemical CO<sub>2</sub> reduction on copper nanoparticles-dispersed carbon aerogels.
- Authors: Xiao X, Xu Y, Lv X, Xie J, Liu J, Yu C
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 1
- Voltammetric surface dealloying of Pt bimetallic nanoparticles: an experimental and DFT computational analysis.
- Authors: Strasser P, Koh S, Greeley J
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 7
- Role of axially coordinated surface sites for electrochemically controlled carbon monoxide adsorption on single crystal copper electrodes.
- Authors: Shaw SK, Berná A, Feliu JM, Nichols RJ, Jacob T, Schiffrin DJ
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 28