Performance optimization and validation of ADM1 simulations under anaerobic thermophilic conditions
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Environmental Biotechnology Research Group
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this study, two experimental sets of data each involving two thermophilic anaerobic digesters treating food waste, were simulated using the Anaerobic Digestion Model No. 1 (ADM1). A sensitivity analysis was conducted, using both data sets of one digester, for parameter optimization based on five measured performance indicators: methane generation, pH, acetate, total COD, ammonia, and an equally weighted combination of the five indicators. The simulation results revealed that while optimization with respect to methane alone, a commonly adopted approach, succeeded in simulating methane experimental results, it predicted other intermediary outputs less accurately. On the other hand, the multi-objective optimization has the advantage of providing better results than methane optimization despite not capturing the intermediary output. The results from the parameter optimization were validated upon their independent application on the data sets of the second digester.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Council for Scientific Research, Lebanon. Special thanks are extended to the United States Agency for International Development for its support in acquiring the equipment used in the experimental program.
- ADM1 calibration using BMP tests for modeling the effect of autohydrolysis pretreatment on the performance of continuous sludge digesters.
- Authors: Souza TS, Carvajal A, Donoso-Bravo A, Peña M, Fdz-Polanco F
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 1
- Mixing effect on thermophilic anaerobic digestion of source-sorted organic fraction of municipal solid waste.
- Authors: Ghanimeh S, El Fadel M, Saikaly P
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- A study of two-stage anaerobic digestion of solid potato waste using reactors under mesophilic and thermophilic conditions.
- Authors: Parawira W, Murto M, Read JS, Mattiasson B
- Issue date: 2007 Nov
- Variation of ADM1 by using temperature-phased anaerobic digestion (TPAD) operation.
- Authors: Lee MY, Suh CW, Ahn YT, Shin HS
- Issue date: 2009 Jun
- ADM1 performance using SS-OFMSW with non-acclimated inoculums.
- Authors: El-Fadel M, Maroun R, Bou Fakher Eldeen R, Ghanimeh S
- Issue date: 2012