Photobleaching-induced changes in photosensitizing properties of dissolved organic matter
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563885
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhotosensitizing properties of different dissolved organic matter (DOM) were investigated according to their performance in singlet oxygen (1O2), triplet state of DOM (3DOM*), and hydroxyl radical (·OH) productions. The photobleaching of DOM solutions after irradiation was characterized by fluorescence excitation-emission matrix and UV-Vis spectroscopy. The photosensitizing properties of pre-irradiated DOM solutions were changed in a sunlight simulator. The performance of DOMs in photosensitized degradation of several contaminants was investigated. For a 20h exposure, the observed degradation rate constant (kobs) of some contaminants decreased as a function of exposure time, and highly depended on the properties of both DOM and contaminant. Degradation of contaminants with lower kobs was more susceptible to DOM photobleaching-induced decrease in kobs. Under the current experimental conditions, the photobleaching-induced decrease of DOM photo-reactivity in contaminant degradation was mainly attributed to indirect phototransformation of DOM caused by the interactions between photo-inductive DOM moieties and photochemically-produced reactive species. Reactive contaminants can inhibit DOM indirect photobleaching by scavenging reactive species, photosensitized degradation of these contaminants exhibited a stable kobs as a result. This is the first study to report DOM photobleaching-induced changes in the simultaneous DOM photosensitized degradation of contaminants and the inhibitory effect of reactive contaminants on DOM photobleaching.
- Photosensitized degradation of 2,4',5-trichlorobiphenyl (PCB 31) by dissolved organic matter.
- Authors: Chen L, Tang X, Shen C, Chen C, Chen Y
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 30
- Production of photo-oxidants by dissolved organic matter during UV water treatment.
- Authors: Lester Y, Sharpless CM, Mamane H, Linden KG
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 15
- Impact of dissolved organic matter on the photolysis of the ionizable antibiotic norfloxacin.
- Authors: Liang C, Zhao H, Deng M, Quan X, Chen S, Wang H
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 1
- Photosensitized degradation of amoxicillin in natural organic matter isolate solutions.
- Authors: Xu H, Cooper WJ, Jung J, Song W
- Issue date: 2011 Jan
- Photosensitizing and Inhibitory Effects of Ozonated Dissolved Organic Matter on Triplet-Induced Contaminant Transformation.
- Authors: Wenk J, Aeschbacher M, Sander M, von Gunten U, Canonica S
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 21