KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Environmental Microbial Safety and Biotechnology Lab
Nanostructured Polymeric Membrane Lab
Online Publication Date2014-10-15
Print Publication Date2014-11-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563855
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSilver nanoparticles were deposited on the surface and pore walls of block copolymer membranes with highly ordered pore structure. Pyridine blocks constitute the pore surfaces, complexing silver ions and promoting a homogeneous distribution. Nanoparticles were then formed by reduction with sodium borohydride. The morphology varied with the preparation conditions (pH and silver ion concentration), as confirmed by field emission scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Silver has a strong biocide activity, which for membranes can bring the advantage of minimizing the growth of bacteria and formation of biofilm. The membranes with nanoparticles prepared under different pH values and ion concentrations were incubated with Pseudomonas aeruginosa and compared with the control. The strongest biocidal activity was achieved with membranes containing membranes prepared under pH 9. Under these conditions, the best distribution with small particle size was observed by microscopy.
SponsorsThe authors thank Alaa Ragab for technical assistance. Research reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Anti-adhesion and antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles supported on graphene oxide sheets.
- Authors: de Faria AF, Martinez DS, Meira SM, de Moraes AC, Brandelli A, Filho AG, Alves OL
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 1
- Anti-biofilm activity of silver nanoparticles against different microorganisms.
- Authors: Martinez-Gutierrez F, Boegli L, Agostinho A, Sánchez EM, Bach H, Ruiz F, James G
- Issue date: 2013
- Silver nanoparticles enhance Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 biofilm detachment.
- Authors: Loo CY, Young PM, Cavaliere R, Whitchurch CB, Lee WH, Rohanizadeh R
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Antibiofilm properties of chemically synthesized silver nanoparticles found against Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Authors: Palanisamy NK, Ferina N, Amirulhusni AN, Mohd-Zain Z, Hussaini J, Ping LJ, Durairaj R
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 14
- In situ formation of silver nanoparticles on thin-film composite reverse osmosis membranes for biofouling mitigation.
- Authors: Ben-Sasson M, Lu X, Bar-Zeev E, Zodrow KR, Nejati S, Qi G, Giannelis EP, Elimelech M
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 1