Neat and complete: Thiolate-ligand exchange on a silver molecular nanoparticle
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Materials Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Functional Nanomaterials Lab (FuNL)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAtomically precise thiolate-protected noble metal molecular nanoparticles are a promising class of model nanomaterials for catalysis, optoelectronics, and the bottom-up assembly of true molecular crystals. However, these applications have not fully materialized due to a lack of ligand exchange strategies that add functionality, but preserve the properties of these remarkable particles. Here we present a method for the rapid (<30 s) and complete thiolate-for-thiolate exchange of the highly sought after silver molecular nanoparticle [Ag44(SR)30]-4. Only by using this method were we able to preserve the precise nature of the particles and simultaneously replace the native ligands with ligands containing a variety of functional groups. Crucially, as a result of our method we were able to process the particles into smooth thin films, paving the way for their integration into solution-processed devices.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the use of KAUST's Core Laboratories. A.D. and N.K. gratefully acknowledge support from NSF 1255519 and NSF 0903787.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Interparticle Reactions: An Emerging Direction in Nanomaterials Chemistry.
- Authors: Krishnadas KR, Baksi A, Ghosh A, Natarajan G, Som A, Pradeep T
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 15
- Atomically precise gold nanoclusters as new model catalysts.
- Authors: Li G, Jin R
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 20
- Intercluster Reactions between Au25(SR)18 and Ag44(SR)30.
- Authors: Krishnadas KR, Ghosh A, Baksi A, Chakraborty I, Natarajan G, Pradeep T
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 13
- Balancing the rate of cluster growth and etching for gram-scale synthesis of thiolate-protected Au(25) nanoclusters with atomic precision.
- Authors: Yuan X, Zhang B, Luo Z, Yao Q, Leong DT, Yan N, Xie J
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 25
- All-thiol-stabilized Ag44 and Au12Ag32 nanoparticles with single-crystal structures.
- Authors: Yang H, Wang Y, Huang H, Gell L, Lehtovaara L, Malola S, Häkkinen H, Zheng N
- Issue date: 2013