Neat and complete: Thiolate-ligand exchange on a silver molecular nanoparticle
KAUST DepartmentFunctional Nanomaterials Lab (FuNL)
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2014-10-31
Print Publication Date2014-11-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563854
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAtomically precise thiolate-protected noble metal molecular nanoparticles are a promising class of model nanomaterials for catalysis, optoelectronics, and the bottom-up assembly of true molecular crystals. However, these applications have not fully materialized due to a lack of ligand exchange strategies that add functionality, but preserve the properties of these remarkable particles. Here we present a method for the rapid (<30 s) and complete thiolate-for-thiolate exchange of the highly sought after silver molecular nanoparticle [Ag44(SR)30]-4. Only by using this method were we able to preserve the precise nature of the particles and simultaneously replace the native ligands with ligands containing a variety of functional groups. Crucially, as a result of our method we were able to process the particles into smooth thin films, paving the way for their integration into solution-processed devices.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge the use of KAUST's Core Laboratories. A.D. and N.K. gratefully acknowledge support from NSF 1255519 and NSF 0903787.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Interparticle Reactions: An Emerging Direction in Nanomaterials Chemistry.
- Authors: Krishnadas KR, Baksi A, Ghosh A, Natarajan G, Som A, Pradeep T
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 15
- Atomically precise gold nanoclusters as new model catalysts.
- Authors: Li G, Jin R
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 20
- Intercluster Reactions between Au25(SR)18 and Ag44(SR)30.
- Authors: Krishnadas KR, Ghosh A, Baksi A, Chakraborty I, Natarajan G, Pradeep T
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 13
- Metal-Ligand Interface in the Chemical Reactions of Ligand-Protected Noble Metal Clusters.
- Authors: Krishnadas KR, Natarajan G, Baksi A, Ghosh A, Khatun E, Pradeep T
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 3
- Balancing the rate of cluster growth and etching for gram-scale synthesis of thiolate-protected Au(25) nanoclusters with atomic precision.
- Authors: Yuan X, Zhang B, Luo Z, Yao Q, Leong DT, Yan N, Xie J
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 25