Crystallographically driven magnetic behaviour of arrays of monocrystalline Co nanowires
AuthorsIvanov, Yurii P.
Trabada, Daniel G.
Chuvilin, Andrey L.
Chubykalo-Fesenko, Oksana A.
Vázquez., Manuel M.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
Sensing, Magnetism and Microsystems Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCobalt nanowires, 40 nm in diameter and several micrometers long, have been grown by controlled electrodeposition into ordered anodic alumina templates. The hcp crystal symmetry is tuned by a suitable choice of the electrolyte pH (between 3.5 and 6.0) during growth. Systematic high resolution transmission electron microscopy imaging and analysis of the electron diffraction patterns reveals a dependence of crystal orientation from electrolyte pH. The tailored modification of the crystalline signature results in the reorientation of the magnetocrystalline anisotropy and increasing experimental coercivity and squareness with decreasing polar angle of the 'c' growth axis. Micromagnetic modeling of the demagnetization process and its angular dependence is in agreement with the experiment and allows us to establish the change in the character of the magnetization reversal: from quasi-curling to vortex domain wall propagation modes when the crystal 'c' axis tilts more than 75° in respect to the nanowire axis.
SponsorsFinancial support from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation, MCINN, under Project No. MAT2010-20798C05-01 and FIS2010-20979-C02-02 is acknowledged, as well as of the Far Eastern Federal University. A Chuvilin acknowledges the financial support from the Basque Government within the projects CTP11-P14 and Etortek IE11-304. Yu P Ivanov thanks the financial support provided by SABIC. Thanks are due also to C Checa and A Valera for assistance in the SEM characterization.
- Magnetic properties of Co nanopillar arrays prepared from alumina templates.
- Authors: Vivas LG, Ivanov YP, Trabada DG, Proenca MP, Chubykalo-Fesenko O, Vázquez M
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 15
- Mechanism of localization of the magnetization reversal in 3 nm wide Co nanowires.
- Authors: Vidal F, Zheng Y, Schio P, Bonilla FJ, Barturen M, Milano J, Demaille D, Fonda E, de Oliveira AJ, Etgens VH
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 14
- Magnetization reversal and magnetic anisotropy in ordered CoNiP nanowire arrays: effects of wire diameter.
- Authors: Van Thiem L, Tu le T, Phan MH
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 9
- Effect of crystallographic texture on magnetic characteristics of cobalt nanowires.
- Authors: Maaz K, Karim S, Usman M, Mumtaz A, Liu J, Duan J, Maqbool M
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 23
- First order reversal curves (FORC) diagrams of Co nanowire arrays.
- Authors: Ciureanu M, Béron F, Ciureanu P, Cochrane RW, Ménard D, Sklyuyev A, Yelon A
- Issue date: 2008 Nov