Anisotropic imprint of amorphization and phase separation in manganite thin films via laser interference irradiation
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Laboratory of Nano Oxides for Sustainable Energy
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2014-09-16
Print Publication Date2015-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563760
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMaterials with mesoscopic structural and electronic phase separation, either inherent from synthesis or created via external means, are known to exhibit functionalities absent in the homogeneous counterparts. One of the most notable examples is the colossal magnetoresistance discovered in mixed-valence manganites, where the coexistence of nano-to micrometer-sized phase-separated domains dictates the magnetotransport. However, it remains challenging to pattern and process such materials into predesigned structures and devices. In this work, a direct laser interference irradiation (LII) method is employed to produce periodic stripes in thin films of a prototypical phase-separated manganite Pr0.65(Ca0.75Sr0.25)0.35MnO3 (PCSMO). LII induces selective structural amorphization within the crystalline PCSMO matrix, forming arrays with dimensions commensurate with the laser wavelength. Furthermore, because the length scale of LII modification is compatible to that of phase separation in PCSMO, three orders of magnitude of increase in magnetoresistance and significant in-plane transport anisotropy are observed in treated PCSMO thin films. Our results show that LII is a rapid, cost-effective and contamination-free technique to tailor and improve the physical properties of manganite thin films, and it is promising to be generalized to other functional materials.
CitationDing, J., Lin, Z., Wu, J., Dong, Z., & Wu, T. (2014). Anisotropic Imprint of Amorphization and Phase Separation in Manganite Thin Films via Laser Interference Irradiation. Small, 11(5), 576–584. doi:10.1002/smll.201400555
SponsorsThis work is supported in part by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Colossal piezoresistance in phase separated manganites.
- Authors: Tosado J, Dhakal T, Biswas A
- Issue date: 2009 May 13
- Mesoscopic percolating resistance network in a strained manganite thin film.
- Authors: Lai K, Nakamura M, Kundhikanjana W, Kawasaki M, Tokura Y, Kelly MA, Shen ZX
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 9
- Composition dependence of charge and magnetic length scales in mixed valence manganite thin films.
- Authors: Singh S, Freeland JW, Fitzsimmons MR, Jeen H, Biswas A
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 27
- Low field magnetotransport in manganites.
- Authors: Siwach PK, Singh HK, Srivastava ON
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 9
- A-site ordering versus electronic inhomogeneity in colossally magnetoresistive manganite films.
- Authors: Moshnyaga V, Sudheendra L, Lebedev OI, Köster SA, Gehrke K, Shapoval O, Belenchuk A, Damaschke B, van Tendeloo G, Samwer K
- Issue date: 2006 Sep 8