KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2014-09
Print Publication Date2014-09-10
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563753
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA Boerdijk-Coxeter-Bernal (BCB) helix is made of linearly stacked regular tetrahedra (tetrahelix). As such, it is chiral without nontrivial translational or rotational symmetries. We demonstrate here an example of the chiral BCB structure made of totally symmetrical gold atoms, created in nanowires by direct chemical synthesis. Detailed study by high-resolution electron microscopy illustrates their elegant chiral structure and the unique one-dimensional "pseudo-periodicity". The BCB-type atomic packing mode is proposed to be a result of the competition and compromise between the lattice and surface energy.
SponsorsThis research was supported by baseline research funds to Y.H. from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology; the SABIC postdoc fellowship to Y.Z. from Saudi Basic Industries Corporation; and the PSF funding to H.C. from the A*Star of Singapore (SERC 112-120-2011).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Helical Growth of Ultrathin Gold-Copper Nanowires.
- Authors: Mendoza-Cruz R, Bazán-Díaz L, Velázquez-Salazar JJ, Plascencia-Villa G, Bahena-Uribe D, Reyes-Gasga J, Romeu D, Guisbiers G, Herrera-Becerra R, José-Yacamán M
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 9
- Experimental evidence of icosahedral and decahedral packing in one-dimensional nanostructures.
- Authors: Velázquez-Salazar JJ, Esparza R, Mejía-Rosales SJ, Estrada-Salas R, Ponce A, Deepak FL, Castro-Guerrero C, José-Yacamán M
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 23
- Weak low-frequency electromagnetic oscillations in water.
- Authors: Liboff AR, Poggi C, Pratesi P
- Issue date: 2017
- A metal-organic framework with rod secondary building unit based on the Boerdijk-Coxeter helix.
- Authors: Xiao Q, Wu Y, Li M, O'Keeffe M, Li D
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 20
- Group-theoretical analysis of aperiodic tilings from projections of higher-dimensional lattices Bn.
- Authors: Koca M, Ozdes Koca N, Koc R
- Issue date: 2015 Mar