Nano-sized quaternary CuGa2In3S8 as an efficient photocatalyst for solar hydrogen production
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Chemical Science Program
Catalysis for Energy Conversion (CatEC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563750
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe synthesis of quaternary metal sulfide (QMS) nanocrystals is challenging because of the difficulty to control their stoichiometry and phase structure. Herein, quaternary CuGa2In3S8 photocatalysts with a primary particle size of ≈4nm are synthesized using a facile hot-injection method by fine-tuning the sulfur source injection temperature and aging time. Characterization of the samples reveals that quaternary CuGa2In3S8 nanocrystals exhibit n-type semiconductor characteristics with a transition band gap of ≈1.8eV. Their flatband potential is located at -0.56V versus the standard hydrogen electrode at pH6.0 and is shifted cathodically by 0.75V in solutions with pH values greater than 12.0. Under optimized conditions, the 1.0wt% Ru-loaded CuGa2In3S8 photocatalyst exhibits a photocatalytic H2 evolution response up to 700nm and an apparent quantum efficiency of (6.9±0.5)% at 560nm. These results indicate clearly that QMS nanocrystals have great potential as nano-photocatalysts for solar H2 production. © 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsFunding for this work was provided by Saudi Aramco under contract 6600024505/01. T. A. K. would like to thank the Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Sohag University for granting him a leave of absence.
- MoS2 Nanosheet-Modified CuInS2 Photocatalyst for Visible-Light-Driven Hydrogen Production from Water.
- Authors: Yuan YJ, Chen DQ, Huang YW, Yu ZT, Zhong JS, Chen TT, Tu WG, Guan ZJ, Cao DP, Zou ZG
- Issue date: 2016 May 10
- Enhanced photocatalytic activity of ZnO microspheres via hybridization with CuInSe₂ and CuInS₂ nanocrystals.
- Authors: Shen F, Que W, He Y, Yuan Y, Yin X, Wang G
- Issue date: 2012 Aug
- Cadmium sulfide quantum dots supported on gallium and indium oxide for visible-light-driven hydrogen evolution from water.
- Authors: Pan YX, Zhuang H, Hong J, Fang Z, Liu H, Liu B, Huang Y, Xu R
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Room-temperature synthesis of Zn(0.80)Cd(0.20)S solid solution with a high visible-light photocatalytic activity for hydrogen evolution.
- Authors: Wang DH, Wang L, Xu AW
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 21
- Photoactive nanocrystals by low-temperature welding of copper sulfide nanoparticles and indium sulfide nanosheets.
- Authors: Lim HM, Tan JY, Batabyal SK, Magdassi S, Mhaisalkar SG, Wong LH
- Issue date: 2014 Dec