Harvesting solar light with crystalline carbon nitrides for efficient photocatalytic hydrogen evolution
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Chemical Science Program
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Catalysis for Energy Conversion (CatEC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563705
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDescribed herein is the photocatalytic hydrogen evolution using crystalline carbon nitrides (CNs) obtained by supramolecular aggregation followed by ionic melt polycondensation (IMP) using melamine and 2,4,6-triaminopyrimidine as a dopant. The solid state NMR spectrum of 15N-enriched CN confirms the triazine as a building unit. Controlling the amount and arrangements of dopants in the CN structure can dramatically enhance the photocatalytic performance for H2 evolution. The polytriazine imide (PTI) exhibits the apparent quantum efficiency (AQE) of 15% at 400 nm. This method successfully enables a substantial amount of visible light to be harvested for H2 evolution, and provides a promising route for the rational design of a variety of highly active crystalline CN photocatalysts. © 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology. Dr. Dalaver H. Anjum and Mr. Shuo Liu are acknowledged for TEM and SEM measurements, respectively.
- Triazine-based carbon nitrides for visible-light-driven hydrogen evolution.
- Authors: Schwinghammer K, Tuffy B, Mesch MB, Wirnhier E, Martineau C, Taulelle F, Schnick W, Senker J, Lotsch BV
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 25
- Tri-s-triazine-Based Crystalline Carbon Nitride Nanosheets for an Improved Hydrogen Evolution.
- Authors: Ou H, Lin L, Zheng Y, Yang P, Fang Y, Wang X
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Crystalline carbon nitride nanosheets for improved visible-light hydrogen evolution.
- Authors: Schwinghammer K, Mesch MB, Duppel V, Ziegler C, Senker J, Lotsch BV
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 5
- Improved Photocatalytic H<sub>2</sub> Evolution over G-Carbon Nitride with Enhanced In-Plane Ordering.
- Authors: Zhao G, Liu G, Pang H, Liu H, Zhang H, Chang K, Meng X, Wang X, Ye J
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- A New Synthesis Approach for Carbon Nitrides: Poly(triazine imide) and Its Photocatalytic Properties.
- Authors: Heymann L, Schiller B, Noei H, Stierle A, Klinke C
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 30