Noncoding transcription by alternative rna polymerases dynamically regulates an auxin-driven chromatin loop
AuthorsAriel, Federico D.
Crespi, Martín D.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chromatin and development Research Group
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Plant Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563684
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe eukaryotic epigenome is shaped by the genome topology in three-dimensional space. Dynamic reversible variations in this epigenome structure directly influence the transcriptional responses to developmental cues. Here, we show that the Arabidopsis long intergenic noncoding RNA (lincRNA) APOLO is transcribed by RNA polymerases II and V in response to auxin, a phytohormone controlling numerous facets of plant development. This dual APOLO transcription regulates the formation of a chromatin loop encompassing the promoter of its neighboring gene PID, a key regulator of polar auxin transport. Altering APOLO expression affects chromatin loop formation, whereas RNA-dependent DNA methylation, active DNA demethylation, and Polycomb complexes control loop dynamics. This dynamic chromatin topology determines PID expression patterns. Hence, the dual transcription of a lincRNA influences local chromatin topology and directs dynamic auxin-controlled developmental outputs on neighboring genes. This mechanism likely underscores the adaptive success of plants in diverse environments and may be widespread in eukaryotes. © 2014 Elsevier Inc.
CitationAriel, F., Jegu, T., Latrasse, D., Romero-Barrios, N., Christ, A., Benhamed, M., & Crespi, M. (2014). Noncoding Transcription by Alternative RNA Polymerases Dynamically Regulates an Auxin-Driven Chromatin Loop. Molecular Cell, 55(3), 383–396. doi:10.1016/j.molcel.2014.06.011
SponsorsWe thank Herve Vaucheret for rdd seeds, Francois Roudier for clf and swn seeds, and both of them for constructive discussions, as well as Allison Mallory for careful reading of the manuscript. We also thank Craig Pikaard for NRPE1-FLAG-transformed seeds and Koji Goto for LHP1-GFP-transformed seeds. F.A. is an EMBO postdoc fellow; N.R.-B. and T.J. are Paris-Sud University PhD fellows. This work was funded by LABEX Saclay Plant Sciences and the France-Brazilian COFECUB Exchange program.
- R-Loop Mediated trans Action of the APOLO Long Noncoding RNA.
- Authors: Ariel F, Lucero L, Christ A, Mammarella MF, Jegu T, Veluchamy A, Mariappan K, Latrasse D, Blein T, Liu C, Benhamed M, Crespi M
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 5
- LHP1 Regulates H3K27me3 Spreading and Shapes the Three-Dimensional Conformation of the Arabidopsis Genome.
- Authors: Veluchamy A, Jégu T, Ariel F, Latrasse D, Mariappan KG, Kim SK, Crespi M, Hirt H, Bergounioux C, Raynaud C, Benhamed M
- Issue date: 2016
- A SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling complex acts in noncoding RNA-mediated transcriptional silencing.
- Authors: Zhu Y, Rowley MJ, Böhmdorfer G, Wierzbicki AT
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 24
- RNA-directed DNA methylation and Pol IVb in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Matzke M, Kanno T, Huettel B, Daxinger L, Matzke AJ
- Issue date: 2006
- RNAi-independent de novo DNA methylation revealed in Arabidopsis mutants of chromatin remodeling gene DDM1.
- Authors: Sasaki T, Kobayashi A, Saze H, Kakutani T
- Issue date: 2012 Jun