Noncoding transcription by alternative rna polymerases dynamically regulates an auxin-driven chromatin loop
AuthorsAriel, Federico D.
Crespi, Martín D.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Plant Science Program
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Chromatin and development Research Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563684
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe eukaryotic epigenome is shaped by the genome topology in three-dimensional space. Dynamic reversible variations in this epigenome structure directly influence the transcriptional responses to developmental cues. Here, we show that the Arabidopsis long intergenic noncoding RNA (lincRNA) APOLO is transcribed by RNA polymerases II and V in response to auxin, a phytohormone controlling numerous facets of plant development. This dual APOLO transcription regulates the formation of a chromatin loop encompassing the promoter of its neighboring gene PID, a key regulator of polar auxin transport. Altering APOLO expression affects chromatin loop formation, whereas RNA-dependent DNA methylation, active DNA demethylation, and Polycomb complexes control loop dynamics. This dynamic chromatin topology determines PID expression patterns. Hence, the dual transcription of a lincRNA influences local chromatin topology and directs dynamic auxin-controlled developmental outputs on neighboring genes. This mechanism likely underscores the adaptive success of plants in diverse environments and may be widespread in eukaryotes. © 2014 Elsevier Inc.
SponsorsWe thank Herve Vaucheret for rdd seeds, Francois Roudier for clf and swn seeds, and both of them for constructive discussions, as well as Allison Mallory for careful reading of the manuscript. We also thank Craig Pikaard for NRPE1-FLAG-transformed seeds and Koji Goto for LHP1-GFP-transformed seeds. F.A. is an EMBO postdoc fellow; N.R.-B. and T.J. are Paris-Sud University PhD fellows. This work was funded by LABEX Saclay Plant Sciences and the France-Brazilian COFECUB Exchange program.
- A dominant negative mutant of protein kinase CK2 exhibits altered auxin responses in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Marquès-Bueno MM, Moreno-Romero J, Abas L, De Michele R, Martínez MC
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- LHP1 Regulates H3K27me3 Spreading and Shapes the Three-Dimensional Conformation of the Arabidopsis Genome.
- Authors: Veluchamy A, Jégu T, Ariel F, Latrasse D, Mariappan KG, Kim SK, Crespi M, Hirt H, Bergounioux C, Raynaud C, Benhamed M
- Issue date: 2016
- A SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling complex acts in noncoding RNA-mediated transcriptional silencing.
- Authors: Zhu Y, Rowley MJ, Böhmdorfer G, Wierzbicki AT
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 24
- RNA-directed DNA methylation and plant development require an IWR1-type transcription factor.
- Authors: Kanno T, Bucher E, Daxinger L, Huettel B, Kreil DP, Breinig F, Lind M, Schmitt MJ, Simon SA, Gurazada SG, Meyers BC, Lorkovic ZJ, Matzke AJ, Matzke M
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- RNA-directed DNA methylation and Pol IVb in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Matzke M, Kanno T, Huettel B, Daxinger L, Matzke AJ
- Issue date: 2006