Turing patterns and long-time behavior in a three-species food-chain model
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563678
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe consider a spatially explicit three-species food chain model, describing generalist top predator-specialist middle predator-prey dynamics. We investigate the long-time dynamics of the model and show the existence of a finite dimensional global attractor in the product space, L2(Ω). We perform linear stability analysis and show that the model exhibits the phenomenon of Turing instability, as well as diffusion induced chaos. Various Turing patterns such as stripe patterns, mesh patterns, spot patterns, labyrinth patterns and weaving patterns are obtained, via numerical simulations in 1d as well as in 2d. The Turing and non-Turing space, in terms of model parameters, is also explored. Finally, we use methods from nonlinear time series analysis to reconstruct a low dimensional chaotic attractor of the model, and estimate its fractal dimension. This provides a lower bound, for the fractal dimension of the attractor, of the spatially explicit model. © 2014 Elsevier Inc.
SponsorsThe present research of N. Kumari is supported by UGC under Raman fellowship, Project No. 5-63/2013(IC) and IIT Mandi under the project No. IITM/SG/NTK/008 and DST under IUATC phase 2, Project No. SR/RCUK-DST/IUATC Phase 2/2012-IITM (G).
- Long-time behavior and Turing instability induced by cross-diffusion in a three species food chain model with a Holling type-II functional response.
- Authors: Haile D, Xie Z
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Turing instabilities and spatio-temporal chaos in ratio-dependent Holling-Tanner model.
- Authors: Banerjee M, Banerjee S
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Linear and Weakly Nonlinear Stability Analyses of Turing Patterns for Diffusive Predator-Prey Systems in Freshwater Marsh Landscapes.
- Authors: Zhang L, Zhang F, Ruan S
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Dynamics of a intraguild predation model with generalist or specialist predator.
- Authors: Kang Y, Wedekin L
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Spatiotemporal complexity in a predator--prey model with weak Allee effects.
- Authors: Cai Y, Banerjee M, Kang Y, Wang W
- Issue date: 2014 Dec