Sustainable organic loading rate and energy recovery potential of mesophilic anaerobic membrane bioreactor for municipal wastewater treatment
KAUST DepartmentWater Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center
Environmental Microbial Safety and Biotechnology Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe overall performance of a mesophilic anaerobic membrane bioreactor (AnMBR) for synthetic municipal wastewater treatment was investigated under a range of organic loading rate (OLR). A very steady and high chemical oxygen demand (COD) removal (around 98%) was achieved over a broad range of volumetric OLR of 0.8-10gCOD/L/d. The sustainable volumetric and sludge OLR satisfying a permeate COD below 50mg/L for general reuse was 6gCOD/L/d and 0.63gCOD/gMLVSS (mixed liquor volatile suspended solids)/d, respectively. At a high sludge OLR of over 0.6gCOD/gMLVSS/d, the AnMBR achieved high methane production of over 300ml/gCOD (even approaching the theoretical value of 382ml/gCOD). A low biomass production of 0.015-0.026gMLVSS/gCOD and a sustainable flux of 6L/m2/h were observed. The integration of a heat pump and forward osmosis into the mesophilic AnMBR process would be a promising way for net energy recovery from typical municipal wastewater in a temperate area. © 2014 Elsevier Ltd.
SponsorsThis work has been financed by the KAUST-UIUC Academic Excellence Alliance (AEA) Project entitled Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor (AnMBR) with Nanofiltration (NF) Membrane. Microbial community analysis was funded by KAUST-UIUC AEA Project 7000000105 awarded to Peiying Hong and Gary Amy. Nan Wang and Dr. Tony Merle are appreciated for their assistance in reactor maintenance and membrane module fabrication, respectively.
- Navigating wastewater energy recovery strategies: a life cycle comparison of anaerobic membrane bioreactor and conventional treatment systems with anaerobic digestion.
- Authors: Smith AL, Stadler LB, Cao L, Love NG, Raskin L, Skerlos SJ
- Issue date: 2014 May 20
- Energy-positive food wastewater treatment using an anaerobic membrane bioreactor (AnMBR).
- Authors: Galib M, Elbeshbishy E, Reid R, Hussain A, Lee HS
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 1
- Treatment of food waste recycling wastewater using anaerobic ceramic membrane bioreactor for biogas production in mainstream treatment process of domestic wastewater.
- Authors: Jeong Y, Hermanowicz SW, Park C
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 15
- Performance of a submerged anaerobic membrane bioreactor with forward osmosis membrane for low-strength wastewater treatment.
- Authors: Chen L, Gu Y, Cao C, Zhang J, Ng JW, Tang C
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 1
- Evaluation of system performance and microbial communities of a bioaugmented anaerobic membrane bioreactor treating pharmaceutical wastewater.
- Authors: Ng KK, Shi X, Ng HY
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 15