Lactate promotes plasticity gene expression by potentiating NMDA signaling in neurons
Petit, Jean Marie
Magistretti, Pierre J.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Online Publication Date2014-07-28
Print Publication Date2014-08-19
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563661
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractL-lactate is a product of aerobic glycolysis that can be used by neurons as an energy substrate. Here we report that in neurons L-lactate stimulates the expression of synaptic plasticity-related genes such as Arc, c-Fos, and Zif268 through a mechanism involving NMDA receptor activity and its downstream signaling cascade Erk1/2. L-lactate potentiates NMDA receptor-mediated currents and the ensuing increase in intracellular calcium. In parallel to this, L-lactate increases intracellular levels of NADH, thereby modulating the redox state of neurons. NADH mimics all of the effects of L-lactate on NMDA signaling, pointing to NADH increase as a primary mediator of L-lactate effects. The induction of plasticity genes is observed both in mouse primary neurons in culture and in vivo in the mouse sensory-motor cortex. These results provide insights for the understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying the critical role of astrocyte-derived L-lactate in long-term memory and long-term potentiation in vivo. This set of data reveals a previously unidentified action of L-lactate as a signaling molecule for neuronal plasticity.
CitationYang, J., Ruchti, E., Petit, J.-M., Jourdain, P., Grenningloh, G., Allaman, I., & Magistretti, P. J. (2014). Lactate promotes plasticity gene expression by potentiating NMDA signaling in neurons. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(33), 12228–12233. doi:10.1073/pnas.1322912111
SponsorsWe thank Cendrine Barriere Borgioni, Elena Gasparotto, and Valerie Eligert for expert technical assistance; Romain Guiet for his help for calcium imaging quantification; and Sylvain Lengacher for helpful discussions. This work was supported by Swiss National Science Foundation Grants 31003A-130821/1 and 310030B-148169/1 and by the National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Synapsy and the Biaggi and Panacee Foundations (P.J.M.).
PubMed Central IDPMC4143009
- Astrocyte-derived lactate/NADH alters methamphetamine-induced memory consolidation and retrieval by regulating neuronal synaptic plasticity in the dorsal hippocampus.
- Authors: Tan X, Liu X, Liu E, Liu M, Mu S, Hang Z, Han W, Wang T, Zhang Y, Zhang J, Yue Q, Sun J
- Issue date: 2022 Nov
- Dual action of L-Lactate on the activity of NR2B-containing NMDA receptors: from potentiation to neuroprotection.
- Authors: Jourdain P, Rothenfusser K, Ben-Adiba C, Allaman I, Marquet P, Magistretti PJ
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 7
- Lactate: A Novel Signaling Molecule in Synaptic Plasticity and Drug Addiction.
- Authors: Wang Q, Hu Y, Wan J, Dong B, Sun J
- Issue date: 2019 Aug
- Lactate induces synapse-specific potentiation on CA3 pyramidal cells of rat hippocampus.
- Authors: Herrera-López G, Griego E, Galván EJ
- Issue date: 2020
- Comparison of glucose and lactate as substrates during NMDA-induced activation of hippocampal slices.
- Authors: Chih CP, He J, Sly TS, Roberts EL Jr
- Issue date: 2001 Mar 2