Lactate promotes plasticity gene expression by potentiating NMDA signaling in neurons
Petit, Jean Marie
Magistretti, Pierre J.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563661
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractL-lactate is a product of aerobic glycolysis that can be used by neurons as an energy substrate. Here we report that in neurons L-lactate stimulates the expression of synaptic plasticity-related genes such as Arc, c-Fos, and Zif268 through a mechanism involving NMDA receptor activity and its downstream signaling cascade Erk1/2. L-lactate potentiates NMDA receptor-mediated currents and the ensuing increase in intracellular calcium. In parallel to this, L-lactate increases intracellular levels of NADH, thereby modulating the redox state of neurons. NADH mimics all of the effects of L-lactate on NMDA signaling, pointing to NADH increase as a primary mediator of L-lactate effects. The induction of plasticity genes is observed both in mouse primary neurons in culture and in vivo in the mouse sensory-motor cortex. These results provide insights for the understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying the critical role of astrocyte-derived L-lactate in long-term memory and long-term potentiation in vivo. This set of data reveals a previously unidentified action of L-lactate as a signaling molecule for neuronal plasticity.
SponsorsWe thank Cendrine Barriere Borgioni, Elena Gasparotto, and Valerie Eligert for expert technical assistance; Romain Guiet for his help for calcium imaging quantification; and Sylvain Lengacher for helpful discussions. This work was supported by Swiss National Science Foundation Grants 31003A-130821/1 and 310030B-148169/1 and by the National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Synapsy and the Biaggi and Panacee Foundations (P.J.M.).
PubMed Central IDPMC4143009
- N-methyl-D-aspartate-stimulated ERK1/2 signaling and the transcriptional up-regulation of plasticity-related genes are developmentally regulated following in vitro neuronal maturation.
- Authors: Zhou X, Moon C, Zheng F, Luo Y, Soellner D, Nuñez JL, Wang H
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Iron mediates N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor-dependent stimulation of calcium-induced pathways and hippocampal synaptic plasticity.
- Authors: Muñoz P, Humeres A, Elgueta C, Kirkwood A, Hidalgo C, Núñez MT
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 15
- L-Lactate protects neurons against excitotoxicity: implication of an ATP-mediated signaling cascade.
- Authors: Jourdain P, Allaman I, Rothenfusser K, Fiumelli H, Marquet P, Magistretti PJ
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 19
- Neuronal glucose but not lactate utilization is positively correlated with NMDA-induced neurotransmission and fluctuations in cytosolic Ca2+ levels.
- Authors: Bak LK, Walls AB, Schousboe A, Ring A, Sonnewald U, Waagepetersen HS
- Issue date: 2009 May
- L-Lactate Regulates the Expression of Synaptic Plasticity and Neuroprotection Genes in Cortical Neurons: A Transcriptome Analysis.
- Authors: Margineanu MB, Mahmood H, Fiumelli H, Magistretti PJ
- Issue date: 2018