Discovery and introduction of a (3,18)-connected net as an ideal blueprint for the design of metal-organic frameworks
Weselinski, Lukasz Jan
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Chemical Science Program
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Functional Materials Design, Discovery and Development (FMD3)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMetal-organic frameworks (MOFs) are a promising class of porous materials because it is possible to mutually control their porous structure, composition and functionality. However, it is still a challenge to predict the network topology of such framework materials prior to their synthesis. Here we use a new rare earth (RE) nonanuclear carboxylate-based cluster as an 18-connected molecular building block to form a gea-MOF (gea-MOF-1) based on a (3,18)-connected net. We then utilized this gea net as a blueprint to design and assemble another MOF (gea-MOF-2). In gea-MOF-2, the 18-connected RE clusters are replaced by metal-organic polyhedra, peripherally functionalized so as to have the same connectivity as the RE clusters. These metal-organic polyhedra act as supermolecular building blocks when they form gea-MOF-2. The discovery of a (3,18)-connected MOF followed by deliberate transposition of its topology to a predesigned second MOF with a different chemical system validates the prospective rational design of MOFs. © 2014 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherNature Publishing Group
Is Supplemented ByGuillerm, V., Weseliński, Ł. J., Belmabkhout, Y., Cairns, A. J., D’Elia, V., Wojtas, Ł., … Eddaoudi, M. (2014). CCDC 953497: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/cc1105z6
Guillerm, V., Weseliński, Ł. J., Belmabkhout, Y., Cairns, A. J., D’Elia, V., Wojtas, Ł., … Eddaoudi, M. (2014). CCDC 953496: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/cc1105y5
Guillerm, V., Weseliński, Ł. J., Belmabkhout, Y., Cairns, A. J., D’Elia, V., Wojtas, Ł., … Eddaoudi, M. (2014). CCDC 959634: Experimental Crystal Structure Determination [Data set]. Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre. https://doi.org/10.5517/cc116kyr
- Quest for highly connected metal-organic framework platforms: rare-earth polynuclear clusters versatility meets net topology needs.
- Authors: Alezi D, Peedikakkal AM, Weseliński ŁJ, Guillerm V, Belmabkhout Y, Cairns AJ, Chen Z, Wojtas Ł, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 29
- Applying the Power of Reticular Chemistry to Finding the Missing alb-MOF Platform Based on the (6,12)-Coordinated Edge-Transitive Net.
- Authors: Chen Z, Weseliński ŁJ, Adil K, Belmabkhout Y, Shkurenko A, Jiang H, Bhatt PM, Guillerm V, Dauzon E, Xue DX, O'Keeffe M, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 1
- Minimal edge-transitive nets for the design and construction of metal-organic frameworks.
- Authors: Chen Z, Jiang H, O'Keeffe M, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 8
- Reticular Chemistry and the Discovery of a New Family of Rare Earth (4, 8)-Connected Metal-Organic Frameworks with csq Topology Based on RE<sub>4</sub>(μ<sub>3</sub>-O)<sub>2</sub>(COO)<sub>8</sub> Clusters.
- Authors: Angeli GK, Sartsidou C, Vlachaki S, Spanopoulos I, Tsangarakis C, Kourtellaris A, Klontzas E, Froudakis GE, Tasiopoulos A, Trikalitis PN
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 27
- Rare Earth pcu Metal-Organic Framework Platform Based on RE<sub>4</sub>(μ<sub>3</sub>-OH)<sub>4</sub>(COO)<sub>6</sub><sup>2+</sup> Clusters: Rational Design, Directed Synthesis, and Deliberate Tuning of Excitation Wavelengths.
- Authors: Luo TY, Liu C, Eliseeva SV, Muldoon PF, Petoud S, Rosi NL
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 12