Ordering effects in benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b']difuran-thieno[3,4-c]pyrrole-4,6- dione polymers with >7% solar cell efficiency
El Labban, Abdulrahman
Hansen, Michael Ryan
Tassone, Christopher J.
Toney, Michael F.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2014-05-15
Print Publication Date2014-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563549
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBenzo[1,2-b:4,5-b']difuran-thieno[3,4-c]pyrrole-4,6-dione (PBDFTPD) polymers prepared by microwave-assisted synthesis can achieve power conversion efficiencies (PCEs) >7% in bulk-heterojunction solar cells with phenyl-C61/71-butyric acid methyl ester (PCBM). In "as-cast" PBDFTPD-based devices solution-processed without a small-molecule additive, high PCEs can be obtained in spite of the weak propensity of the polymers to self-assemble and form π-aggregates in thin films. © 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge financial support under Baseline Research Funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors thank KAUST Analytical Core Labs for mass spectrometry and elemental analyses, and Sandra Seywald (MPIP - Mainz, Germany) for SEC measurements. The authors thank the Advanced Imaging and Characterization Laboratories at KAUST for technical support. Portions of this research were carried out at the Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource user facility, operated by Stanford University on behalf of the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Sciences. MRH acknowledges financial support from the Villum Foundation under the Young Investigator Program.
- Linear side chains in benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b']dithiophene-thieno[3,4-c]pyrrole-4,6-dione polymers direct self-assembly and solar cell performance.
- Authors: Cabanetos C, El Labban A, Bartelt JA, Douglas JD, Mateker WR, Fréchet JM, McGehee MD, Beaujuge PM
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 27
- Acceptor-donor-acceptor oligomers containing dithieno[3,2-b:2',3'-d]pyrrole and thieno[2,3-c]pyrrole-4,6-dione units for solution-processed organic solar cells.
- Authors: Mercier LG, Mishra A, Ishigaki Y, Henne F, Schulz G, Bäuerle P
- Issue date: 2014 May 16
- Synthesis and Characterization of Two-Dimensional Conjugated Polymers Incorporating Electron-Deficient Moieties for Application in Organic Photovoltaics.
- Authors: Hsiow CY, Wang HY, Lin YH, Raja R, Rwei SP, Chiu WY, Dai CA, Wang L
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 27
- Bulk heterojunction solar cells using thieno[3,4-c]pyrrole-4,6-dione and dithieno[3,2-b:2',3'-d]silole copolymer with a power conversion efficiency of 7.3%.
- Authors: Chu TY, Lu J, Beaupré S, Zhang Y, Pouliot JR, Wakim S, Zhou J, Leclerc M, Li Z, Ding J, Tao Y
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 30
- Crystalline conjugated polymer containing fused 2,5-di(thiophen-2-yl)thieno[2,3-b]thiophene and thieno[3,4-c]pyrrole-4,6-dione units for bulk heterojunction solar cells.
- Authors: Chen GY, Cheng YH, Chou YJ, Su MS, Chen CM, Wei KH
- Issue date: 2011 May 7