On the substrate- and stereospecificity of the plant carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase 7
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Plant Science Program
Online Publication Date2014-03-28
Print Publication Date2014-05-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563521
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractStrigolactones are phytohormones synthesized from carotenoids via a stereospecific pathway involving the carotenoid cleavage dioxygenases 7 (CCD7) and 8. CCD7 cleaves 9-cis-β-carotene to form a supposedly 9-cis-configured β-apo-10′-carotenal. CCD8 converts this intermediate through a combination of yet undetermined reactions into the strigolactone-like compound carlactone. Here, we investigated the substrate and stereo-specificity of the Arabidopsis and pea CCD7 and determined the stereo-configuration of the β-apo-10′-carotenal intermediate by using Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. Our data unequivocally demonstrate the 9-cis-configuration of the intermediate. Both CCD7s cleave different 9-cis-carotenoids, yielding hydroxylated 9-cis-apo-10′-carotenals that may lead to hydroxylated carlactones, but show highest affinity for 9-cis-β-carotene. © 2014 Federation of European Biochemical Societies. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG) Grant AL 892/1-4 and by the EU (METAPRO; FP7 KBBE-2009-3-1-01).
- The path from β-carotene to carlactone, a strigolactone-like plant hormone.
- Authors: Alder A, Jamil M, Marzorati M, Bruno M, Vermathen M, Bigler P, Ghisla S, Bouwmeester H, Beyer P, Al-Babili S
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 16
- Insights into the formation of carlactone from in-depth analysis of the CCD8-catalyzed reactions.
- Authors: Bruno M, Vermathen M, Alder A, Wüst F, Schaub P, van der Steen R, Beyer P, Ghisla S, Al-Babili S
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- On the substrate specificity of the rice strigolactone biosynthesis enzyme DWARF27.
- Authors: Bruno M, Al-Babili S
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Biochemical characterization and selective inhibition of β-carotene cis-trans isomerase D27 and carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase CCD8 on the strigolactone biosynthetic pathway.
- Authors: Harrison PJ, Newgas SA, Descombes F, Shepherd SA, Thompson AJ, Bugg TD
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- The biochemical characterization of two carotenoid cleavage enzymes from Arabidopsis indicates that a carotenoid-derived compound inhibits lateral branching.
- Authors: Schwartz SH, Qin X, Loewen MC
- Issue date: 2004 Nov 5