KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
Advanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Nanostructured Functional Materials (NFM) laboratory
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563512
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElectrocatalytic reduction of water to molecular hydrogen via the hydrogen evolution reaction may provide a sustainable energy supply for the future, but its commercial application is hampered by the use of precious platinum catalysts. All alternatives to platinum thus far are based on nonprecious metals, and, to our knowledge, there is no report about a catalyst for electrocatalytic hydrogen evolution beyond metals. Here we couple graphitic-carbon nitride with nitrogen-doped graphene to produce a metal-free hybrid catalyst, which shows an unexpected hydrogen evolution reaction activity with comparable overpotential and Tafel slope to some of well-developed metallic catalysts. Experimental observations in combination with density functional theory calculations reveal that its unusual electrocatalytic properties originate from an intrinsic chemical and electronic coupling that synergistically promotes the proton adsorption and reduction kinetics. © 2014 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
SponsorsThis research is financially supported by Australian Research Council (DP1095861, DP130104459). NEXAFS measurements were undertaken on the soft X-ray beamline at Australian Synchrotron. DFT calculations were undertaken on the NCI National Facility systems through the National Computational Merit Allocation Scheme.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Tungsten carbide-nitride on graphene nanoplatelets as a durable hydrogen evolution electrocatalyst.
- Authors: Chen WF, Schneider JM, Sasaki K, Wang CH, Schneider J, Iyer S, Iyer S, Zhu Y, Muckerman JT, Fujita E
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Nitrogen-doped graphene as efficient metal-free electrocatalyst for oxygen reduction in fuel cells.
- Authors: Qu L, Liu Y, Baek JB, Dai L
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 23
- Catalyst-free synthesis of nitrogen-doped graphene via thermal annealing graphite oxide with melamine and its excellent electrocatalysis.
- Authors: Sheng ZH, Shao L, Chen JJ, Bao WJ, Wang FB, Xia XH
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 28
- Ultrathin graphitic C3 N4 nanosheets/graphene composites: efficient organic electrocatalyst for oxygen evolution reaction.
- Authors: Tian J, Liu Q, Asiri AM, Alamry KA, Sun X
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Atomic cobalt on nitrogen-doped graphene for hydrogen generation.
- Authors: Fei H, Dong J, Arellano-Jiménez MJ, Ye G, Dong Kim N, Samuel EL, Peng Z, Zhu Z, Qin F, Bao J, Yacaman MJ, Ajayan PM, Chen D, Tour JM
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 21