Comparison of Artemisia annua bioactivities between traditional medicine and chemical extracts
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Analytical Chemistry Core Lab
Analytical Core Lab
Biological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Computational Bioscience Research Center (CBRC)
Design and Development Support
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Office of the VP
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563488
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe present work investigates the efficacy of using Artemisia annua in traditional medicine in comparison with chemical extracts of its bioactive molecules. In addition, the effects of location (Egypt and Jericho) on the bioactivities of the plant were investigated. The results showed that water extracts of Artemisia annua from Jericho have stronger antibacterial activities than organic solvent extracts. In contrast, water and organic solvent extracts of the Artemisia annua from Egypt do not have anti-bacterial activity. Furthermore, while the methanol extract of EA displayed high anticancer affects, the water extract of Egypt and the extracts of Jericho did not show significant anticancer activity. Finally, the results showed that the methanol and water extracts of Jericho had the highest antioxidant activity, while the extracts of Egypt had none. The current results validate the scientific bases for the use of Artemisia annua in traditional medicine. In addition, our results suggest that the collection location of the Artemisia annua has an effect on its chemical composition and bioactivities. - See more at: http://www.eurekaselect.com/121416/article#sthash.2c2j9AoL.dpuf
PublisherBentham Science Publishers Ltd.
JournalCurrent Bioactive Compounds
PubMed Central IDPMC3992861
- Antitumor activity of an Artemisia annua herbal preparation and identification of active ingredients.
- Authors: Lang SJ, Schmiech M, Hafner S, Paetz C, Steinborn C, Huber R, Gaafary ME, Werner K, Schmidt CQ, Syrovets T, Simmet T
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Antibacterial activity of some Artemisia species extract.
- Authors: Poiată A, Tuchiluş C, Ivănescu B, Ionescu A, Lazăr MI
- Issue date: 2009 Jul-Sep
- Combination of molecular network and centrifugal partition chromatography fractionation for targeting and identifying Artemisia annua L. antioxidant compounds.
- Authors: Messaili S, Colas C, Fougère L, Destandau E
- Issue date: 2020 Mar 29
- Cytotoxic activity of secondary metabolites derived from Artemisia annua L. towards cancer cells in comparison to its designated active constituent artemisinin.
- Authors: Efferth T, Herrmann F, Tahrani A, Wink M
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 15
- Artemisia annua and Artemisia afra extracts exhibit strong bactericidal activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Authors: Martini MC, Zhang T, Williams JT, Abramovitch RB, Weathers PJ, Shell SS
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 15