Comparison of Artemisia annua bioactivities between traditional medicine and chemical extracts
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Advanced Nanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Analytical Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe present work investigates the efficacy of using Artemisia annua in traditional medicine in comparison with chemical extracts of its bioactive molecules. In addition, the effects of location (Egypt and Jericho) on the bioactivities of the plant were investigated. The results showed that water extracts of Artemisia annua from Jericho have stronger antibacterial activities than organic solvent extracts. In contrast, water and organic solvent extracts of the Artemisia annua from Egypt do not have anti-bacterial activity. Furthermore, while the methanol extract of EA displayed high anticancer affects, the water extract of Egypt and the extracts of Jericho did not show significant anticancer activity. Finally, the results showed that the methanol and water extracts of Jericho had the highest antioxidant activity, while the extracts of Egypt had none. The current results validate the scientific bases for the use of Artemisia annua in traditional medicine. In addition, our results suggest that the collection location of the Artemisia annua has an effect on its chemical composition and bioactivities. - See more at: http://www.eurekaselect.com/121416/article#sthash.2c2j9AoL.dpuf
PublisherBentham Science Publishers Ltd.
JournalCurrent Bioactive Compounds
PubMed Central IDPMC3992861
- Antibacterial activity of some Artemisia species extract.
- Authors: Poiată A, Tuchiluş C, Ivănescu B, Ionescu A, Lazăr MI
- Issue date: 2009 Jul-Sep
- Cytotoxic activity of secondary metabolites derived from Artemisia annua L. towards cancer cells in comparison to its designated active constituent artemisinin.
- Authors: Efferth T, Herrmann F, Tahrani A, Wink M
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 15
- Protective capacity of Artemisia annua as a potent antioxidant remedy against free radical damage.
- Authors: Chukwurah PN, Brisibe EA, Osuagwu AN, Okoko T
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Screening the Hemostatic Active Fraction of Artemisia annua L. In-vitro.
- Authors: Wang B, Sui J, Yu Z, Zhu L
- Issue date: 2011 Winter
- Chemical composition of Artemisia annua L. leaves and antioxidant potential of extracts as a function of extraction solvents.
- Authors: Iqbal S, Younas U, Chan KW, Zia-Ul-Haq M, Ismail M
- Issue date: 2012 May 21