Enhanced rate performance of mesoporous Co3O4 nanosheet supercapacitor electrodes by hydrous RuO2 nanoparticle decoration
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Materials Science and Engineering Program
Functional Nanomaterials and Devices Research Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563457
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMesoporous cobalt oxide (Co3O4) nanosheet electrode arrays are directly grown over flexible carbon paper substrates using an economical and scalable two-step process for supercapacitor applications. The interconnected nanosheet arrays form a three-dimensional network with exceptional supercapacitor performance in standard two electrode configuration. Dramatic improvement in the rate capacity of the Co3O4 nanosheets is achieved by electrodeposition of nanocrystalline, hydrous RuO 2 nanoparticles dispersed on the Co3O4 nanosheets. An optimum RuO2 electrodeposition time is found to result in the best supercapacitor performance, where the controlled morphology of the electrode provides a balance between good conductivity and efficient electrolyte access to the RuO2 nanoparticles. An excellent specific capacitance of 905 F/g at 1 A/g is obtained, and a nearly constant rate performance of 78% is achieved at current density ranging from 1 to 40 A/g. The sample could retain more than 96% of its maximum capacitance even after 5000 continuous charge-discharge cycles at a constant high current density of 10 A/g. Thicker RuO2 coating, while maintaining good conductivity, results in agglomeration, decreasing electrolyte access to active material and hence the capacitive performance. © 2014 American Chemical Society.
SponsorsAuthors thank Advanced nanofabricationNanofabrication, Imaging and Characterization Laboratory and Analytical Chemistry Core Laboratory at KAUST and Olga Zausalina for the graphical illustration design. R.B.R. acknowledges the financial support from SABIC Post-Doctoral Fellowship. W.C. acknowledges support from KAUST Graduate Fellowship. H.N.A. acknowledges the generous support from KAUST Baseline Fund.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- One-step electrodeposited nickel cobalt sulfide nanosheet arrays for high-performance asymmetric supercapacitors.
- Authors: Chen W, Xia C, Alshareef HN
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 23
- Self-Assembled Hierarchical Formation of Conjugated 3D Cobalt Oxide Nanobead-CNT-Graphene Nanostructure Using Microwaves for High-Performance Supercapacitor Electrode.
- Authors: Kumar R, Singh RK, Dubey PK, Singh DP, Yadav RM
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 15
- Co₃O₄@CoS Core-Shell Nanosheets on Carbon Cloth for High Performance Supercapacitor Electrodes.
- Authors: Ning J, Zhang T, He Y, Jia C, Saha P, Cheng Q
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 1
- Ultrathin Co3O4 nanosheet arrays with high supercapacitive performance.
- Authors: Yang Q, Lu Z, Sun X, Liu J
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 18
- Electrodeposition of spinel MnCo₂O₄ nanosheets for supercapacitor applications.
- Authors: Sahoo S, Naik KK, Rout CS
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 13