Synthesis and carbon dioxide sorption of layered double hydroxide/silica foam nanocomposites with hierarchical mesostructure
Estévez, Luis Antonio
Giannelis, Emmanuel P.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Science Program
Functional Materials Design, Discovery and Development (FMD3)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Grant NumberKUS-C1-018-02
Online Publication Date2014-03-05
Print Publication Date2014-04
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563432
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLayered double hydroxides (LDHs) with a hierarchical mesostructure are successfully synthesized on mesoporous silica foams by simple impregnation and hydrothermal treatment. The as-synthesized LDH/silica foam nanocomposites show well-defined mesostructures with high surface areas, large pore volumes, and mesopores of 6-7 nm. The nanocomposites act as carbon dioxide (CO2) sorbents under simulated flue gas conditions. They also exhibit significantly enhanced CO2 capacities under high-pressure conditions and high CO2/N2 and CO2/CH4 selectivities. Respect the hierarchy: Hierarchical mesoporous layered double hydroxide (LDH) nanocomposites with high surface areas and large pore volumes are synthesized by controlled hydrothermal growth of LDH precursors on a mesoporous silica foam. The as-synthesized nanocomposites exhibit a significantly enhanced capacity and selectivity towards carbon dioxide, making them very promising candidates for carbon dioxide (CO2) separation applications. © 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationFu, L., Qi, G., Shekhah, O., Belmabkhout, Y., Estevez, L., Eddaoudi, M., & Giannelis, E. P. (2014). Synthesis and Carbon Dioxide Sorption of Layered Double Hydroxide/Silica Foam Nanocomposites with Hierarchical Mesostructure. ChemSusChem, 7(4), 1035–1039. doi:10.1002/cssc.201300973
SponsorsThis work was financially supported by Award KUS-C1-018-02, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Synthesis, characterization, and CO(2) adsorptive behavior of mesoporous AlOOH-supported layered hydroxides.
- Authors: Chang YP, Chen YC, Chang PH, Chen SY
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Aminosilane-grafted polymer/silica hollow fiber adsorbents for CO₂ capture from flue gas.
- Authors: Rezaei F, Lively RP, Labreche Y, Chen G, Fan Y, Koros WJ, Jones CW
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Synthesis of well-dispersed layered double hydroxide core@ordered mesoporous silica shell nanostructure (LDH@mSiO₂) and its application in drug delivery.
- Authors: Bao H, Yang J, Huang Y, Xu ZP, Hao N, Wu Z, Lu GQ, Zhao D
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 5
- Anisotropic growth-induced synthesis of dual-compartment Janus mesoporous silica nanoparticles for bimodal triggered drugs delivery.
- Authors: Li X, Zhou L, Wei Y, El-Toni AM, Zhang F, Zhao D
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 22
- Ordered mesoporous silica (OMS) as an adsorbent and membrane for separation of carbon dioxide (CO2).
- Authors: Chew TL, Ahmad AL, Bhatia S
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 15