Charge-extraction strategies for colloidal quantum dot photovoltaics
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe solar-power conversion efficiencies of colloidal quantum dot solar cells have advanced from sub-1% reported in 2005 to a record value of 8.5% in 2013. Much focus has deservedly been placed on densifying, passivating and crosslinking the colloidal quantum dot solid. Here we review progress in improving charge extraction, achieved by engineering the composition and structure of the electrode materials that contact the colloidal quantum dot film. New classes of structured electrodes have been developed and integrated to form bulk heterojunction devices that enhance photocharge extraction. Control over band offsets, doping and interfacial trap state densities have been essential for achieving improved electrical communication with colloidal quantum dot solids. Quantum junction devices that not only tune the optical absorption spectrum, but also provide inherently matched bands across the interface between p-and n-materials, have proven that charge separation can occur efficiently across an all-quantum-tuned rectifying junction. © 2014 Macmillan Publishers Limited.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge J. Xu for his contributions to the figures. This publication is based in part on work supported by Award KUS-11-009-21, made by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), the Ontario Research Fund Research Excellence Program, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada, and Angstrom Engineering and Innovative Technology. X. L. would like to acknowledge a scholarship from the China Scholarship Council (CSC).
- Quantum junction solar cells.
- Authors: Tang J, Liu H, Zhitomirsky D, Hoogland S, Wang X, Furukawa M, Levina L, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 12
- Depleted-heterojunction colloidal quantum dot solar cells.
- Authors: Pattantyus-Abraham AG, Kramer IJ, Barkhouse AR, Wang X, Konstantatos G, Debnath R, Levina L, Raabe I, Nazeeruddin MK, Grätzel M, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 22
- Energy level tuned indium arsenide colloidal quantum dot films for efficient photovoltaics.
- Authors: Song JH, Choi H, Pham HT, Jeong S
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 15
- Chloride Passivation of ZnO Electrodes Improves Charge Extraction in Colloidal Quantum Dot Photovoltaics.
- Authors: Choi J, Kim Y, Jo JW, Kim J, Sun B, Walters G, García de Arquer FP, Quintero-Bermudez R, Li Y, Tan CS, Quan LN, Kam APT, Hoogland S, Lu Z, Voznyy O, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Nanoimprint-Transfer-Patterned Solids Enhance Light Absorption in Colloidal Quantum Dot Solar Cells.
- Authors: Kim Y, Bicanic K, Tan H, Ouellette O, Sutherland BR, García de Arquer FP, Jo JW, Liu M, Sun B, Liu M, Hoogland S, Sargent EH
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 12