The emergence of the rescue effect from explicit within and between-patch dynamics in a metapopulation
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/563389
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImmigration can rescue local populations from extinction, helping to stabilize a metapopulation. Local population dynamics is important for determining the strength of this rescue effect, but the mechanistic link between local demographic parameters and the rescue effect at the metapopulation level has received very little attention by modellers. We develop an analytical framework that allows us to describe the emergence of the rescue effect from interacting local stochastic dynamics. We show this framework to be applicable to a wide range of spatial scales, providing a powerful and convenient alternative to individual-based models for making predictions concerning the fate of metapopulations. We show that the rescue effect plays an important role in minimizing the increase in local extinction probability associated with high demographic stochasticity, but its role is more limited in the case of high local environmental stochasticity of recruitment or survival. While most models postulate the rescue effect, our framework provides an explicit mechanistic link between local dynamics and the emergence of the rescue effect, and more generally the stability of the whole metapopulation. © 2014 The Author(s) Published by the Royal Society. All rights reserved.
SponsorsB.M. gratefully acknowledges financial support by Vetenskapsradet, by the Goran Gustafsson Foundation for Research in Natural Sciences and Medicine and by the Centre for Evolutionary Marine Biology at Gothenburg University.
PublisherThe Royal Society
PubMed Central IDPMC4027396
- Metapopulation dynamics on the brink of extinction.
- Authors: Eriksson A, Elías-Wolff F, Mehlig B
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- Extinction dynamics in mainland-island metapopulations: an N-patch stochastic model.
- Authors: Alonso D, Mckane A
- Issue date: 2002 Sep
- Multi-scale processes in metapopulations: contributions of stage structure, rescue effect, and correlated extinctions.
- Authors: Sutherland C, Elston DA, Lambin X
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Enhancing the area-isolation paradigm: habitat heterogeneity and metapopulation dynamics of a rare wetland mammal.
- Authors: Schooley RL, Branch LC
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Local and regional determinants of colonisation-extinction dynamics of a riparian mainland-island root vole metapopulation.
- Authors: Glorvigen P, Andreassen HP, Ims RA
- Issue date: 2013